Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella Super Steps Love/Hate

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Moo, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi, Just got a set of super steps for my very expensive 5 string jazz style bass.

I've had them before a long time ago and liked them and this time I really love the way they feel, soft and flexible and they roll a bit under your finger like a nylon string on a classical guitar but I can't stand the tone. Thundering bass, huge highs, nothing inbetween.

Are they known for this scooped sound? I've played them thru 3 amps so far and can't get a sound I like.

There's not really anything wrong with them just real far from what I want.

So what's the poop? Do they always sound like this? And what's with kids today? Why do they dress like hooligans?

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I've been using them exclusively on my main bass(Warwick Corvette Standard) for about 6 years. I love them and they are a perfect match for this bass. They allow me to get a little lower on my action, due to the bare core. As for the hooligans dressing funny, it has something to do with Autumn LaVineyard.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    How do you find the tone? Do they seem scooped to you?

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I find the tone by plucking at the strings with my fingers and it just...APPEARS!:) I'm sorry. I guess they could be considered scooped...but the bass itself has considerable low-mid punch so therefore it is the PERFECT string for this bass, all frequencies are covered without any one being prominent/compromised. Plus they have a good lifespan.;)

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well, just ordered a fresh batch of DR lo-riders. An old standby that I haven't tried on this bass yet. Hopefully that will be what I need.

The LaBellas sure feel nice, I'll miss that.

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    For all those of you following this soap opera I had a rehearsal with the new set of DR lo-riders.

My mids are back big time! I am so happy!

Th DR's do not have anywhere near the far lows and sparkly highs the LaBella's did but they have the mids the LaBella was missing. And for a jazz style bass I really wanted that.

Specs for the hardcore gear heads

LaBella super steps
    45-105 with a 128 b

DR Lo-Riders 40-100 with a 125 b

I went a bit light with the DR's since I wanted a looser string and the tension in both sets seems pretty close.

Also bought both sets from the forum sponsor bassguitarstrings.us ;) I was happy with them for both sets.