LaBella tapewound arco-ability?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dwjazz54, Sep 8, 2003.

1. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I was reading the Bass Player article on and listening to the new album of Ron Carter, and have absolutely fallen in love with that man's tone. While his playing ability is surely a large part of it, I noticed he uses black Labella tapewounds (I can't think of any other double bassist who does).

I was wondering if these strings also have a decent arco sound. Does anyone have any comments on this?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not good at arco but last time I tried they were very slippery. Maybe with a good dose of very sticky rosin... :)
  3. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    If you think the spirocore strings are not arco friendly, then you should try bowing the LaBella 7710 black nylon wound strings. You have to use a lot of rosin to get a grip of those strings. I have a record with Mads Winding Trio and although I love his playing and his warm pizzicato tone, I can't stand the sound on the numbers where he does a little bit of arco.

regards Oystein Djupvik-Norway
  4. I believe Miroslav Vitous also used these LaBella strings on his solo albums in the 1980s (I have no idea if he still does). I thought his compositions and his playing on those recordings were beautiful, but I didn't like the arco sound on them.
  5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Vitous plays on metal LaBellas (7720's).
  6. Oops. Thanks for the correction, Francois.
  7. BassBliss

Sep 17, 2003
    Boston Ma
    does anyone know how these strings sound amplified?
  8. my bass teacher has them on his jazz setup bass , and he has tried to bow them.......basically they will only catch if you move the bow very slowly...i guess it might be good , on 12 measure tied notes...