1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labella tapewounds or TI Jazz for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 520lbGIANT, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Please :help:
    I want to change the strings on my fretless LB20 Carvin but can’t decide between the 760N LaBella tapewounds or TI Jazz flats. I currently have Ernie Ball flats but want to get a more upright sound. So, which of the two choices do you think will work best?
    BTW, I know the TI’s are low tension but don’t know about the LaBellas…are they medium tension?

2. i'd say go with the Labellas. they are actually pretty versatile i think. and they are low tension. i've never tried the TI flats so i can't give an opinion on them, but the reason i haven't is because i just hate flats period. all the flats i've tried before were pretty high tension. so i would have to think a "low tension flat" is probably still gonna feel somewhat tight. and the tone of flats seem nice a deep but kinda thumpy and dead. the Labellas have a very rich sound. lots of growl and definition. i mostly play jazz upright, but if i need to go electric, i use my fretless six with the Labellas. it's pretty easy to get an upright sound, but you can also get an aggressive roundwound tone with a little fiddling with the EQ.

3. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I have used both on most of my basses, fretted and fretless. I really prefer the LaBella's on my fretless and being that they are a round wound under the tape you can still get a little of the growl from the wounds and they are smooth as silk to play. The TI's stayed on my fretted P up until I sold it.

peace,
    Brian

4. I haven't tried the TI's yet, but I have the LaBellas on my fretless Yamaha and I really like them. Depending on EQ they can have a nice upright sound or a regular "P-bass with flats" sound. Another plus - it seems like they will last forever and they are so smooth to the touch that all the girls want to stroke them! ;-)

5. I just put a set of La Bella 760M (.049, .069, .089, .109)flatwounds on my Fender P-bass. I love 'em! Great sound, great feel. I called La Bella before buying them and the person there told me that the tension on these is about the same as like gauged roundwound strings. After playing them, I can confirm this. The sound is heavy bass, strong mids and low treble...nice!

6. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    If you want an upright sound, go with black nylon tapewound. LaBella, Rotosound, Fender as well as some others make them. They're much lower tension than metal wound flats and give much more of an upright thump.

7. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    TI Jazz flats aren't the flats to use if you want a nice upright sound. I would look at LaBella's Deep Talkin Flats.

8. Thanks for all the input...LaBella tapewounds look like the overwhelming winner:D

9. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I'm looking for that same sound but not all the time. Once I get my Quake I'm planning on stringing up my Music Man with the tapewounds and tuning it standard. For now I need to keep rebar on the Music Man...

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've never tried the TI strings, but I adore LaBella tapewounds on my fretless basses. I like Fender Nylon tapes even better, but they are only available in 4 string sets.

11. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I have TI's on my fretless G&L. I think they are medium light gauge and they are wonderful. I can cop that famed jaco tone easily but that might be more the bass than the strings. If you want to sound more like a contrabass I would avoid them though, like someone else said, maybe go for Deep Talking Flats.
    Kevin W.

Edit. You might also want to consider developing a strong palm muting technique or investing in a set of removable bridge mutes (a piece of foam). I palm mute when I play Afro-Cuban to get more of a contrabass sound.

12. I'm another user. I recommend Rob Allen's custom LaBellas. His are thicker, but are much more consistent than usual bass strings. They're thicker, but since the linear density is less, they feel the same as normal strings.

13. :cool: Another string you might want to consider is the Rotosound tapewounds. I have a set on my fretless and they are really, really nice. Great feel and great sound. Just thought I'd mention them.:bassist:

14. I ordered a set of LaBella 760N tape wounds from Carvin:)
    They have the best price I could find for these strings ($28 shipped).
    I also checked out the Rob Allen site...the strings are the same thickness but his are custom length (extra long).
    Thanks again for all the help:hyper:

15. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    i totally agree...i wish fender made a 5 string set. I have yet to try the LaBellas but in general i love tapewounds more then rounds and flats since i can still get em to growl. They are "perfect" for reggae btw.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021