LaBella Tapewounds vs. TI Jazz Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I play my Cirrus 5 string with Labella Tapewounds. I love the sound I get from them. Thick, full deep tone, but without the dullness of traditional flats (as they are tapewound roundwounds)...yet bright sounding without the clanky sound of roundwounds.

I've been reading alot about the TI Jazz flats (read the whole link to the Dude's TI site).

Has anyone switched from LaBella Tapewounds to TI Jazz Flats? If so, what are your impressions...differences between the two? Likes, dislikes?

I'm always interested in improving my tone (the LaBellas have come the closest yet to giving me the natural wood tone of my bass).

Also, my Cirrus is a 35" scale 5 string bass, so it looks like the super long scale set is what I would need...although the lengths Dude listed seem weird (the G is longer than the D???????? Shouldn't it be the other way around)? My bass has the B, E and A strung on top and the D and G on the bottom, where the A and the D strings are the longest. My B string is the shortest, but TI lists it as the longest in the set. Dude lists the lengths as follows...

G: 39.44"
    D: 39.32"
    A: 39.44"
    E: 39.38"
    B: 39.39"

Any insights would be appreciated.