Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Labella Tapewounds!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 16, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recieved a set of Labella Tapewounds(Carvin) for my 5 string Tobias acoustic. They were exactly what I was looking for! I play bluegrass with this bass and now it has a nice, dark, woody thump to it with low finger noise. I have never had any experience with tapewounds before-man, they feel strange!

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I finally got a set and they are great. Do those type strings ever really need to be replaced? I like the way they sound but they seem pretty dead sounding brand new.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    They, to me, sound somewhat dead, too. They seem to have better highs than the flats I've used. Easy on the fingers and they last forever. They sounded great on my P bass, but on every other bass, they seemed to squash my tonal options.

4. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I put a set on my 5-string Carvin right after having it de-fretted, and really loved the way they felt. But, I had a lot of grief getting them to fit in the piezo saddles and make proper contact with with the pups. I was getting very inconsistent contact and wound up not being able to use the piezos with these strings. I took them off, and tried to remove the tape from the area of the strings that contact the piezos, but wound up ruining the strings because the tape started unwinding. Although they felt better than any strings I've played, the sound was a bit on the dull side, but not when I dialed in some piezo. Too bad I was having contact trouble or I would have kept them. So for the time being, I just put some DaD half-rounds on it.

I do have one more set of the Labella's and might try them on my Tobias one day. I'm curious to know how they'd sound with the Bart electronics.