1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella vs LaBella vs All Others

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ole Rumblekat, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Ole Rumblekat

Ole Rumblekat

Mar 12, 2008
    I have decided to replace the stock roundwounds (.045 - .105) on my semi hollow bass with flatwounds, looking for a much less bright sound. I play fingerstyle, close to the neck. Options. TI makes a nice flatwound I hear. LaBella makes 2 different sets, 760FM medium guage (.049 - .109) and 760FL lighter guage (.043 - .104). And of course there's the DA Chromes. But the TI website has me wondering. In the FAQs they say that higher tension makes for a crisper sound. Now I know that thicker guage strings need higher tension. So - will a thicker string produce a crisper sound?? Doesn't sound quite right to me. And my bass is short scale which narrows the choices. I also don't want to stray TOO far from the standard issue .045 - .105. And Finally, TIs Jazz Flats are listed as 32" scale. My bass is 30", semi-hollow. Advice needed. Thanks.

2. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i don't think a thicker string produce a crisper sound, whatever that means? but as it is a shortscale bass and you like to play close to the neck, high tension is a good thing.

the DA chromes i think only go up to 100 on the E string, but might be a good option, and somewhat cheaper maybe.

TI flats are quite low tension which from my experience doesn't suit every bass, but they are really great on the basses they do suit (this is of course very individual from person to person)

i haven't tried the labella flats but have only heard good things about them.

3. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    DA Chromes go up to 50-105.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    They also have a set called 760FS, .045"-.105".

WARNING:
    You should contact LaBella directly and see which scale length strings will fit your bass. Short scale will probably be too short. They'll want measurements, so have your bass and a tape handy.

5. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    not for shortscale basses they don't, at least according to the d'addario website!

6. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I am using Labellas now and they sound pretty good. GlennW gives good advice. Some of the shorter scales still need longer strings due to the tailpieces.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm just started using the Labella FM and FS and love both. I'm also using the TI's on an L-2000 and they are perfect. All of them feel and sound different.

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    A little advice on short scale strings...even on basses that have a 30" scale, I think it's a good idea to get 32" strings because a lot of short-scale basses have a 2-piece tailpiece with a couple inches of string behind the bridge, especially hollowbodies.

9. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Sorry, I had overlooked the 30 inch measurement that the OP gave.

10. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    This is what I heard from bass builder Jon Shuker a couple of weeks ago. The higher tension strings accentuate the higher frequencies which results in a brighter sound.