Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just ordered some Labella's off of samash... I got Super Steps, Slappers, and hard rockin steels...

They were in a triple pack for like $30here

are these strings any good?
  2. That certaintly seems like a good deal. The only ones I can comment on are the Supersteps, although the only bass I tried them on was an F Bass which was so amazing it was hard to judge the strings. As I remember, they felt really nice. The tension seemed to be low, (which I consider to be a good thing). As for the sound, I didn't have anything to compare them to.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I use the Hard Rockin Steels on my 5 string and they sound great.
    Switching over to this brand required a complete setup. I've had the set on for 3 or 4 months and they have mellowed a bit but still kick butt. Great strings
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm using the Slappers on my Jerzy Drozd and love them. They're smooth! Because they have a nickel wrap around a steel wrap, they're somewhere between the two, in terms of brightness. To me, that's a good thing!:D
  5. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    one small question... are the Hard Rockin tappered strings, exposed core or are they "normal"? I tried the super slappers, exposed core strings if i'm not wrong, and didn't like them. I'm hoping tat the Hard Rockin are a bit different.

6. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The Hard Rockin Steels are conventional strings. Only the B on the 5 or 6 string sets are tapered.

7. PLus, their cores are not completely exposed.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, the E strings out of the M45 (45-105) set is tapered as well.

As far as the rest of the strings, can't comment. I've used Hard Rockin' Steels exclusively for over a year and can't say a bad thing about them. And you can't lose a fresh pack in a dark room either!
  9. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You're right. Excuse me while I go get a clue.:oops:
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't worry, I had to look down at my bass too :p
  11. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Here's something interesting. The reason I originally said, "only the B is tapered" was because I had a set of M46 (4 string with 106 E) on my jazz bass and I don't remember it being tapered. After your post correcting me, I looked at a set of M45B's that I have. The B and E were indeed tapered.

To satisfy my curiosity, I peeked at a couple of 4 string sets (with 100 E's). They were conventional, not tapered. Interesting.
  12. after using almost all the strings under the sun!!! and always finding a fault in any of them... I tried a set of hard rocking steels just because they were on sale!!! They are by far the best strings to my taste, I'll never go back to using another brand... good thing, i sweat a lot when I play and with other brands I had to change strings after two shows...with the Labellas I have been using them for two weeks playing four days a week, in the HOT Puerto Rico climate!!! and they are still going!!!

13. I bought the La Bella nickels for my fretless and HATED THEM! They became dull almost immediately. For those who want a roundwound that sounds like a flatwound, you may want to look at these. I prefer some "zing" and overtones and sustain from my fretless strings.