Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaBella

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Does anyone here use hard rockin' steels, the tapewound set they do or deep talkin' rounds? Descriptons ( sound and silk colour) will be appreciated.

Many thanks

2. I've played Hard Rockin steels, and I now have Slappers (nickel plated steel, the E and A are tapered). The steels were pretty cool, decently bright, a little sticky. Slappers are very mellow but still have some snap, very smooth feeling, nice strings. Both have black wrap at the top.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use primarilly the Hard Rockin' Steels 45-105 and they're wonderful strings IMO. They're bright and crisp out of the package and warm up to the perfect tone, nice and bassy with the right amount of treble to them. They have black windings.

4. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    When I was a "round-guy" I used roundwound DTB. Great deep bottom & smooth highs, very nice under your fingers ...definitely a "hard-to-beat" set for fingerstyle. As far as the silk colour I guess it depends from the gauge ... I used .41 .58 .83 .106 and this gauge has a red silky wrap at the top.

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use the DTB tapewounds too and totally dig them. As michele said, the lows are deep and full, and the highs are smooth. Mine have dark purple silk on them-- every set I've ever bought has that color. These are, quite possibly, my favorite strings. :cool:

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    When I had my Peavey Axcelerator 6, Hard-Rockin' Steels were the string for that bass. Haven't tried them since, but tplyons' assessment seems about right.

The tapewounds are pretty cool. Nice deep sound, but not so thuddy as the Roto 88's. Great fretless string as well.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a set of DTB rounds here in the next few days. As much as I like these Chromes I'm using, I miss the slightly more aggressive sound I get from roundwounds, and I also miss having all my strings sitting properly in the bridge (because my bridge reqires a tapered B string, and the Chromes don't have that as an option).

I think the Deep Talkin Bass Roundwound 5 string set does, but I wanna ask while we're on the subject and make sure. Do they have a tapered B string?

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I LOVE Labellas!
    I use the Hard Rockin' Steels on everything. I was really sold on them when Alain Caron did a clinic for the College I teach at. He pointed out the solid fundamental response of the "B" string notes and that was it.
    :hyper: :bassist:

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    EVERY set La Bella makes has a tapered B string, including their flatwounds.

Tom

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't care for LaBellas too much. I think their windings are too big, and they tear my hands up because of it.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks! Heh, maybe that's why none of the literature I've read has any mention of tapered B strings. I guess with La Bella, there's no reason to differentiate, since there's no other option. :)