Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Labelling music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Here you have your interesting discussion... ;)
    I really LIKE labelling music. Just because it makes a lot of sense.
    Just imagine: A friend of mine is gonna take me to some show, telling me I would have to expect "good music".
    If it's Rockabilly, I'll probably enjoy the show and have a good time. If it emerges as Psychobilly or Rock or Metal or Punk or Gothic or something - I could possibly get angry...
    If it's Swing, great, I'll probably enjoy the show and have a good time. If it's >Jazz<, I will sure get bored or annoyed (except it's some swingin' Old School stuff or kind of lively and tangy - like Götz Alsmann)...
    And so on and so on...
    Got the point? I'm glad to know if it's authentic Rockabilly stuff, Rock'n'Roll or Neo or something, whenever I'm gonna get me some live music.
    I exactly know what kind of music I want to play - so why don't pin it down by labelling it?
    "Would you like to do some jammin' with us?"
    -"Maybe, what kind of music do you guys play?"
    "Good music."
    Well...

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't mind labels as long as they're small enough to not get in the way and loose enough to easily remove and swap around. They're certainly not worth fighting over.

I'd certainly find it convenient to have an easy way to label what I choose to listen to, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've recently started a blog to record what I've been running past my ears so please feel free to check out the webden playlist and let me know how you'd summarise it.

However, I'd suspect there's not an easy answer :cool:

Wulf