1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I hear a lot about 'funk bassists' and 'metal bassists' and 'fusion bassists' and even 'jazz bassists' around here.

I can certainly appreciate how hard some of that must be. I know some of it requires special clothes and pointy basses and berets and whatnot.

But for me, I must say, I want to be known from here on as a 'folk bassist'.

Folk bassists, unite! We are the unsung heroes!

Who's with me?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sometimes I'm a 'bass bassist' but usually I'm just a 'nad bassist' and nothing more.

Folk Bassist:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rj_9KfwzmfA

Well, you can't see him. But you can hear him. And he is rad.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    :D

My oldest muso buddy Matt is with you. He's a former metal guitarist, currently growing out his grey beard and swinging a 'ray 5-banger with a cute little red-haired singer/songwriter. I am only mildly jealous.

4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I would prefer to be known as a "versatile bassist", if anything. No interest in being genre labelled, stylistically pidgeon-holed or stylistically confined as playing bass brings me too much pleasure to limit myself.

5. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Count me in. The most fun gig I ever had was backing a singer/songwriter acoustic guitarist. Lotsa energy and playing space and he encouraged me to be adventurous. Probably not typical for a folksy gig, but it was fun.

6. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I would never call you a Folk bassist! I would never go that low to insult you. :(

;)

7. I love the sound of those Bongos you play. I'm with you man!!! :bassist:

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Hmmm, :eyebrow: I haven't played metal in years, I suck at jazz, Can't find anyone to play blues or western swing with me. I'm currently playing coffee house gigs, I must be a "folk bassist".......I'm in!