Labor Unions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassAxe, Jun 16, 2003.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    If anyone has worked in a labor union, I like to hear something about how they work, or don't work. Anything like a ridiculous or amusing story, something that does not make sense but the union requires it, anyway.

I'm including something about labor unions in a song and need some insider info, research.

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Member of I.B.E.W. local 3 here. Work is done under certain guide lines (local and state code) safety is of utmost inportance. one time myself and two other guy's walked into an office and we were greated with " hi you must be electricians here to change the light switch" all three of us busted out laughing!
  3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Labor unions have two sides to them. The good side for workers is that is that they provide leverage in negoiating a fair wage and benefits for workers.

The bad side is that they stifle trade, keep incompetent workers employed. They also keep workers with ability from being rewarded, usually those with "seniority" are the ones rewarded.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I feel like the time for unions is mostly past and at this point the bad outweighs the good. I had a former teacher whose sister was terrorized by union folks for not joining (poisoned the dog and things of that nature). I guess that's a story.

brad cook
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So true
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here. I found that, unless you're a driver, the union don't give a damn about you until election time, dues, or when there's some stupid strike going on.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm a Union Organizer. I am a member of the Local 23, AFM as well.

My Union has done a lot for the Latin studio musicians. We organized a campaign against Sony Discos, EMI Latin and WEA Latin (now Warner Music Latin). We had the entire Congressional Hispanic Caucus to sign on to the campaign and fight the record labels with us.

We won. We had Union members like Ed Calle (Arturo Sandoval and master Miami studio whiz) and Oscar Cartaya (Spyro Gyra, J-Lo, etc.) testify at a field congressional hearing. It was a great day.

Although Unions are not perfect, no organization is. They are run by the people - If you don't like what's going on - you question it and/or get them out of office!

There's nothing like getting pension benefits on live, studio and jingle work (that's not all you get ;) ).

I love my Union and the Labor movement as a whole, but like everything - they are far from perfect (the freelance issue).

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My experience with electrician unions has been nothing but negative. I pay more money for work of less quality. The work takes MUCH longer. I only use them in buildings that require it and it is always a nightmare.

For prompt, quality, professional electrical work I stay away from union workers.

I know this is historically a touchy subject, so let me just reiterate that this is MY experience. YMMV.
  9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Too political of an open forum IMO.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    lets send it to the lobby!

:D ;)
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    My two cents: Yes unions sometimes cause trouble, and may keep incompetent people in their positions; but it's better than the alternative. Before unions and the union movement, you had child labour, long working hours, no breaks, no workplace safety, and generally awful conditions for those at the bottom. The argument now is that corporations are more responsible and more likely to look out for workers, thus negating the need for unions. While I'd like to believe that such a humane and enlightened attitude was the case, the cynic in me won't allow that to happen. I mean look at Enron, the executives destroyed the organization for their own gain and took thousands of jobs and pensions with them. In most cases, I think that workers do need advocates. Some unions are too combative or too militant perhaps, but I believe that, as a whole, they are not a bad thing at all.
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    for the most part, i agree, but i would say that a lot of unions are too complacent - too buddy, buddy with management
  13. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i am a member of local 455 of the laborers union,and yes i agree its all about politic's and money. but on the other hand here else can a mellon head like me make 24.75 $ an hour for digging a ditch or doing demolition work ? it buys me some cool basses:bassist: