Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LABORIE ENDPIN (Graphite endpin )or EGG pin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by wen1012, Apr 25, 2002.

1. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Hi everyone,
    I'm interesting in bend pin,but don't know what is better to set.Any recommand are welcome.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Angled endpins give me the willies. But that's just me.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Go to any metal worker and have a stainless steel rod of the proper diameter made. Play with the angle and height until it feels right. Be careful not to stab yourself in the foot.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I've always found this to be good advice. Why stop now?

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I can highly recommend the Laborie endpin, but I also used the egg pin for a very long time.

I am about 6 feet tall and felt that the egg pin was too heavy for my bass, and would stop the balance.

The Laborie is so light, It is so easy to hold

also, They use the tool to make cello peg hole to make the hole in the bottom of your bass.

It is better to get someone who has done this before, Also better to be there.

How did you hear about all this in Taiwan?
    My wife is from Taipei, and we go twice a year.

I always look so hard for bassists in Taipei.

What do you do in Taiwan? Are you a full time bassist? Jazz, Classical Solo?

I would love to meet a bassist in Taiwan.

Please keep in touch. Also if you have any specific questions, please post.

How tall you are and how big your bass is should make some difference, But if you are maybe a little on the shorter side, I would get the egg pin

Make sure you ask for the short barrel (or the long one if you are tall)

I also had mine bored out at Robertson & Sons to fit a goetz end pin spike, that way you can have a cool screw on spike, and the rubber is quite durable

I think I would go with the Egg until you find someone to drill the hole. You also will be able to adjust the angle, use the egg pin like a fitting device for your Laborie.

6. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
  7. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Hi Alex!!
    Thank you !! I had send a e-mail to you in Chinese,thanks for your kind help.