1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lace Alumitone Aluma-P sound clips

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LaceMusic, Sep 8, 2008.

1. LaceMusic

LaceMusic

Apr 29, 2008
    Artist Relations Lace Music
    Hi Guys.

For those of you wating for sound clips, here's the first batch. A friend put a set in his 90s Am Std P-Bass and compared it to his stocker 73 P-Bass through a DI and pre, although it's very transparent. The sustain and volume differences are very noticeable and no adjustments were made during the recordings. Link Below:

http://www.lacemusic.com/soundbites/sound_bites.php

Any feedback on anything like tone or other recording techniques welcome!

Thanks ,
    Mike G.
    Lace Music

2. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Do the bass bars sound about the same as the P?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hmm, interesting! That Alumitone is much grindier and scooped stock. Definitely a good rock tone! The regular P has quite a bit more wooliness!

4. I like where the alumitones are starting from...

IMO, you can always get as woolly as you like by rolling off on the tone control...but if a pickup is dark sounding to begin with, it's very difficult to inject "life" into them.

5. LaceMusic

LaceMusic

Apr 29, 2008
    Artist Relations Lace Music
    Thanks guys.

The bass bars sound different, but still have that bandwidth and output. Since the "poles" run across the length of the pickup, they tone out differently. Hooked up to a preamp, they'll be smokin hot and transparent.

That P pickup is a great rock pickup, but has many moods, to sound like my Berkeley cousin. These things are very adjustable; they are a great starting point to go either way with the EQ. Paired with one of our new Aluma-J's, it's going to be a very versatile set.

Thanks for listening!

6. Speaking of the Aluma-J (now that you mentioned it :)), when will they be released? I'd love to get a set for a parts bass.

7. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I like the sound. Might use the tone control to roll off some top end, but I like it.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd be using them with flatwounds and it seems there's enough going on in the midrange to make the strings sound their best. And for the rockers with round wounds they have all the top end you'd ever need.

I'd like to see how they compare sound wise to the stock P pickups when the volume is equalled.

I think they might be a good choice for a different P sound. In a way they remind me a bit of the Bill Lawrence P45 pickups but with a lot more output.

9. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    Think it sounds like a three quarter P-bass sound plus a quarter of Stingray sound added. Great mids. Just what I like. It seems though that std. pickup's highs are brighter and smoother.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The stock pickup is brighter sounding. And that crushes the myth that P basses have no high end! People seem to think they only sound like Motown.

11. ek1949

ek1949

Feb 19, 2016
    I haven't seen a Lace 5 string J pup. Is that something that exists or will it come in the future?