1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lace Helix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lostrings, Apr 9, 2009.

1. I was shopping around Ebay and did a impulse buy. I had read some threads on here about the Lace Helix basses and got some positive reviews and I also went to Youtube and seen a few videos on them. I find them to be interesting basses with that body shape and the Alumitone pickups. I recieved my bass and I was very impressed with the build quality and the woods used. THe body is made from very lightweight Mahogany and the neck is hard rock Maple with a rosewood fingerboard. The hardware is decent quality and the bass balances really nice. It is extremely lightweight 7 lb's. What really surprised me was the Alumitone pickup. It is a crazy design that strays away from conventional magnetic pickup design. They are current driven instead of voltage driven which in turn is suppost to create a higher fidelity with more low end and more high end responce. When I plugged the bass is the first time I was amazed at the tone the pickup creates. The tone is very different than I thought it would be. It is passive but, it has a very active tone to it...very impressive. I wanted to get a 5 string neck thru in natural, but I didn't want to put out the money till I knew what the bass was all about. Now that I have tried this bass, I believe I might go ahead and get that 5 string. Any other owners want to chime in and give their point of views...I am interested in seeing what others are feeling about their basses.
    DSC04011.
    DSC04012.
    DSC04013.
    DSC04014.
    DSC04005.

2. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008
    Looks cool. How does it sound and play?

3. It sounds like a P bass on steroids. The Alumitone pickup has a extended range that goes beyond a typical magnetic pickup. Also, the tone control is actually useful. It will go from a very bright tone to a real deep dark place. The neck is bigger than a jazz bass neck, more P like. It is a very solid bass.

4. That is so cool.

I think I might buy one.

5. Cool, thanks for the link.

One of the neck through models is currently going on the bay for $375 BIN.

Man, if I had the cash, that would be mine.

I do still plan on trying to pick one up in the future, though.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I played a couple of their basses at the Bass Day - LA and was REALLY impressed. The ONLY downside for me was that it is narrower at the nut than I like. FWIW - I have some nice basses and would not hesitate to buy one, especially the "P-bass."

Dan K.

7. I've been tossing around the idea of a neck thru for about 8 months now. I'm pretty happy with the rest of my basses and for the last week I've been doing a bunch of research and this has been on my radar. Very soon!

H

8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I was considering getting a neck-thru 4 myself, but the sound seemed to me a little too "metal/twangy/thin", and I'm in a band with a lot of stuff to cut through... I still haven't tried it in a band setting though. Still, those are pretty sweet!

9. LaceMusic

LaceMusic

Apr 29, 2008
    Artist Relations Lace Music
    Our new Neck through's come stock with Alumitone Bass Bars now. It's become our most popular bass pickup.

-Mike G
    Lace Music Products

10. Mike,

Do you know of anyone that has one of the single split P pup versions in stock?? Is that model called the L Bass?? I want to buy one!! :help: :)

11. I played a two-pickup model at the Atlanta Bass Gallery today. Whew. Almost got in trouble. Great bass.

12. The Growler

The Growler

Jan 26, 2008

Mike -

They look great, except the knobs. I have to say that those knobs look so cheesy it's not funny. Since the alumitone p'up is your company signarure, maybe make them from aluminum or something? Just a suggestion, maybe it would be an option. My 2ยข.

I still want to go try one out and hear it. Hopefully, my ears would convince my eyes to get past those knobs. :)

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, I can certainly "get it" why those knobs would be an interesting/cool choice from a designer's perspective: unusual-looking yet highly tactile, with more subtlety of control than a small knurled metal knob. But the actual overall look is not appealing, and works against the sleek flowing lines of the rest of the bass. The DAT knobs IMO belong on a chunky, funky, DEVO-looking bass. The Lace Helix needs something sleek and fluid looking, like knobs made of lucite or something like that.

14. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    The knobs remind me of video editing :p
    In whole, they seem like sweet basses!

15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I actually initiated a trade of a Jazz Bass for one of these at the Bass Place, when they came out. However, I reversed on the trade after I had some time to give the bass a good going over at home. The design and tone are quite excellent. The thing that was a deal breaker for me was the truss rod nut, which was ultra cheap, and IMO would have rounded out to become dysfunctional with normal use. Wrong place for a manufacturer to shave margins, again IMO.

16. When I recieved this bass the first thing I did was a setup. When I took the truss rod cover off I found that it was going to use a 4mm allen wrench. At first I had the same feelings you did, but after I did some adjusting of the nut I had no problems at all...It was alittle tight but felt very solid. After doing the adjustments I feel all is good...

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree about the knobs, but overall, it's a very cool and unique looking bass. I like it alot, but have yet to actually play one. Maybe someday.

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Sure, the nut works OK when it is new. However, the metal "seemed" soft to me; and it certainly is softer than the Allen wrench you will use to adjust it. So, you know which will win. Plus, I have had bad experiences with the smaller Allen head nuts in the past. The MIA Fenders have a larger Allen head, which is just borderline OK. Anything smaller will work to start off, but with periodic use the hex will become round. It is a small thing that can totally kill a bass, IME. I have an old Cort Steinberger-license bass right now with this problem. Solid mahogany and a lot of cool stuff about it. But, I have zero ideas for extracting the rounded Allen head nut and replacing it. Just trying to give you the benefit of my 2c. This particular piece of cost cutting in the manufacturing specs is 100% a major faux pas, and I avoid such instruments now.

19. I definately understand your point. You are right about import basses and borderline items like the truss rod adjustment. A truss rod is one of the most important items and knowing you can adjust it 20 years down the road is peace of mind.