1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lace sensor to nordstrand PUP swap issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fesem, Mar 30, 2006.

1. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hello: I hoping someone might have some advice for me. I have a USA Fender Jazz Plus that has lace sensor PUPS and a Kubiki (sp?) on board pre. I bought some Nordstrand PUPs I want to swap in. The lace sensors have a three wire braid that ends in a connector that slips onto a two pin connection. The wire colors are white and green, to one pin, and orange to the other. The Nords of course just have two wires, black and white . So can I just solder the wires from the Nords to the pins, might be tricky as they are really close together. If so does white go where the white and green go, and the black where the orange goes. Other suggestions. Will I have any other issues with this pre or the pots. Any help or suggestions who to ask greatly appreciated. Maybe I should email Fender. Steve:confused:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds like your white and green wires are ground, and your orange is the hot. I'd wire the white where the orange is currently, and the black wire to the other pin.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    My guess is the same as David's. I'd guess white is the negative side of the pickup, green is the chassis ground for the pickup, and orange is hot. Try running black to the white/green one, and white to the orange one, and see what happens.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    all the other nordstrand pups I've used have been white +ve, black -ve so I'm guessing based on that :)

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Always best to check with manufacturer to make sure. I recall a couple companies using the same 4 colors of wire but requiring a different wiring path.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Lace has a website too, and I'm sure they'd be glad to help.

7. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    thanks for all the help. I'll give that a try and see how my soldering skills are. What happens if you wire up PUPS backwards. Do they not work at all of just work poorly.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I for one question the wisdom of this particular swap. I always thought that the second generation "Fender" Kubicki electronics were questionable, and Fender Lace Sensor pickups are in my experience outstanding sounding pieces. Have you thought of replacing or ditching the EQ? I'm sure that Nordstrand pickups are fine and dandy, but Lace Sensors are really really good in their own right; I think the electronics are the limiting factor on that bass, not the pickups. You may want to keep the Lace Sensors handy in case you want to try them out again in the future.

9. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Fasem
    I would email the folks at Nordstrand and get thier advice, I found them to be timely and responsive.
    jzbass6

10. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hey Philbiker: Thanks for that info. I have wondered about that option, but have seen little written about the lace sensors. Would you have a preamp suggestion that would work well with them. We down here in SW VA will be pulling for the Patriots. Steve

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I'm a fan of passive EQ, but I would imagine any highly regarded aftermarket EQ would do a good job with those pickups. I would recommend trying them passive before trying an EQ.

12. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    ZOMBIE THREAD RESURRECTION

I have the exact same question. @fesem, how did it work out for you? Did you figure it out?

13. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    I'm going to reply to this in case anyone ever has the same question:

Lace pickups: orange is hot, the green and white are ground or whatever. I don't really know much about this.

1. Follow the leads from the pickups to the pins in the circuit board.
    2. Each pickup was soldered to two little pins. Remove the pins from the Kubicki preamp circuit board.
    3. The right side of each pair (closer to the bridge) is the hot/positive side. Push the leads through the hole and solder them.
    4. Figure out how to ground the new pickups if they only have two wires. Still working on that!