1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lacewood fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fish man, Apr 28, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    This is completely unrelated to my current project, but how appropriate would lacewood be as the fingerboard for an unlined fretless? I've never played it, or even seen any in person, but apparently it emphasizes low mids (good) and has a nice growl (good) when used as a tone wood. Could anyone experienced with it say if it has fingerboardish qualities?

thx

fm

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It does not have fingerboard qualities. Too soft in general, very large early/latewood hardness differences. Maybe a candidate for a stabilized piece from Larry Davis? Its too busy visually for me for a fretboard.

3. D. J. Baines

D. J. Baines

Jan 17, 2006
    I wouldn't even think about lacewood unless it was the acrylized kind like what Gallery sells.

Lacewood is on the soft side (similar to mahogany) and would wear quickly if not varnished, not to mention very difficult to seal and finish.

On the other hand, it looks friggin' stellar!

4. D. J. Baines

D. J. Baines

Jan 17, 2006
    By the way, since you are choosing lacewood for its tonal properties, why not use it for something more substantial like the neck or body core?

I've seen both necks and bodies of lacewood and keep hearing people comare its tone to mahogany.

5. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I think I'll do that. I plan for it to be a neck-through, so I think I'll use it as the neck core.

But either way, that project won't be happening for a long time...

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I figure you guys are talking about australian lacewood, but what about brazilian? I've seen some at my local wood store, and it's really heavy, and seems quite hard also. Does anyone have info on this?