Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lacewood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stewmc5222, Dec 26, 2003.

1. hey all,

I was wonering about how difficult lacewood is to work. I am considering it for a top on my next bass and was hoping you could offer some insight.

also, what are your thoughts on it as a tone wood?

from the lows,

Stew

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's funny stuff. The flecks are really soft and the rest of it is reasonably hard. The flecks will sand away quicker than the surrounding wood so hand sanding can be difficult. It has some tendedncy to tear out on the planer, but nothing like curly maple.

All in all, not too bad to work.

I have no comments on it as a tonewood, other than to say that the basses I have played with lacewood have all sounded fine. I have yet to find a wood that can't be used in a good sounding instrument.

3. thanks, Matt!

from the lows,

Stew

4. Hey Matt, with my bass having a part lacewood top, will i have a problem if i have to refinish it? I don't want to knock out the little soft spots if thats possible.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It sands fine with a backer block. It is kind of a weird wood like Matt said. Its pretty porous so a pore filler is a must if you do a film finish.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Nah, just use a backer block like Greg said. The first refin I ever did was a lacewood bass. I didn't even use the backer block and it came out fine, just not mirror-flat.