Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Mar 27, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have a bass with a lacewood top? Tonally, how does it sound compared to ash, maple, etc? Is it a hard or softer wood?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very similar to hard maple.

I played a solid lacewood Tobias and it sounded like a maple bodied bass, bright, punchy, and the lows had great clarity to them.

I was told by the shop that whatever tree that Lacewood comes from is actually in the maple family.

Of course, that same person told me that Eden sucks and that Bartolini is going out of business because nobody likes their pickups, so he may not have a clue.

But it sounded like a maple body to my ears.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, that guy has no cloo...bartolini going out of business? eden sux??? :eek: wow, that dood lost _all_ of his kewl points...

:D lacewood is actually a species of australian does have a lot of the tonal characteristics of maple though...i played a fretless tobias with a lacewood top and back...wenge in between. sounded really great...singing high end with well articulated lows...the mids kinda reminded me of my warwick. nice wood, imo
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a US Masters fretless with a Lacewood body and purple heart fingerboard. I love it. It's kinda hard to define the tone compared to other woods as this is a real different bass. You can check it out at Also, the Ken Smith site has some real good descriptions of the various tones of wood and lacewood is one of them.

I would (wood?) place it between ash and alder in tone. One real appealing thing about it is that it is a very light weight wood.