1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lack of balance between strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aresc, Mar 29, 2009.

1. aresc

aresc

Mar 26, 2009
    Hello everybody!
    I ve recently added a highway one jazz bass to my arsenal by my favourite precision.
    While it plays and sounds great,it suffers from lack of tonal balance between the strings as the title of the thread suggests.
    Actually the A string sounds a little weaker in volume and less punchy than the rest of the strings.It hasnt got to do with the nut (cause I ve replaced it even if it showed perfectly cut) or the string break angle of the A string(cause I ve installed a triple retainer)(after all this problem is present all across the fingerboard).So I guess it s got something to do with the bridge.I forgot to mention that the problematic A string gives me the impression that it vibrates more (has less attack and more sustain)than the rest.Even if there is definetly no saddle buzz I think that it may have to do with a less solid saddle.??
    Any ideas,suggestions or experience in weak sounding individual strings would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

2. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    there seems to be less tension in that A string, i think you got a bad string

3. aresc

aresc

Mar 26, 2009
    There is less tension in the A string,but I don't think I got two bad A's in row,I loaded new strings right after I notified the problem.

4. doesn't the highway one series come with baddass bridges? make sure the saddle is properly grooved under the string.
    if the nut is new and the bridge is calibrated, try a new string set.
    if that doesn't help try a/b-ing the pick-ups, they could be the problem.
    this is the very reason why i always use dimarzio pick-ups in my jazz basses, you can adjust the pole pieces and balance the output (they also sound great).

5. aresc

aresc

Mar 26, 2009
    Yes the bass s got the badass bridge which was pregrooved ,I didnt have use any file on it.
    The problem is present in both pickups and the closer to the bridge I strike the strings the more intense it gets.
    I considered getting pickups with adjustable pole pieces but this wouldnt fix the issue as it isnt only about volume but mostly about punch.
    Thanks for the response

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    More likely than you'd think.

7. aresc

aresc

Mar 26, 2009
    I ve dropped the same stings(ghs boomers) I ve always used on my precision.I may try to load a new A string.
    By the way apart from the issue of low volume and punch the A string seems to suffer from lack of low end.
    I think I gonna try a replacemet saddle.