Lack of clarity...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by larrytron, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Hi TB'ers!
    I've just scored a 76 JB and I've found the sound to be kinda dull with a lack of high end clarity. The strings are new and unpluggedt the sound is clear articulate and huge.
    Judge by yourself:

There's something weird about the tone: I have the full highs when the tone knob is set counterclokwise(If you know what I mean) it's like it's a "reverse" knob. IOchecked the soldering and everything's Ok.
    Might be the capacitor? What do you think?
    Thanks a lot for your input.
  2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Looks like the tone capacitor is soldered to the wrong tone pot's leg.
    Check out here:
    ...and,after identifying your bass model,try to reproduce exactly the wiring schemo (most probably,you'll have to move the capacitor from one leg to another).
  3. You're right Le Basseur!!!
    I hadn't checked properly, the capacitor is soldered to the wrong leg.
    I'll tell you the result!
  4. Curious if it looks like factory wiring/pickups, of if someone hot rodded the bass? I'd check the wiring, pot values, capacitor values against the fender specs just in case... If they changed the capacitor as well as soldering it to the wrong place, it could result in loss of highs. Maybe one of the previous owners thought the bass was too bright...

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    I wouldn't call it "a hotrod mod" :smug: but I've seen too many passive tones inverted because the owner just "felt it otherwise"! ;) No harm in either I recall,the tone pot is a linear one.
    However,your suggestion is correct:the capacitor might have another value,just check it out.The tone cap's value might be set to factory's specs OR changed according to your taste.
  6. It is fixed,now!:hyper:
    The former owner have made some weird wiring... the wire between the input jack and the tone pot was on the wrong leg. Maybe the bass had too much treble juice for his taste.
    Anyway, the bass is fixed and she has plenty of highs!!!! I don't think I'll have to check caps and pots since it seems to work correctly.
    I'll make soundclips(as soon as I get the time)to show you the difference.
    Thanks to Le Basseur and Steveksux for your help!

Here are the new clips:
  7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Boy, what a difference that made! The highs are back! The former clips sounded like the tone knob was all the way down. Glad to hear it was an easy fix! You're a smokin' player by the way!
  8. Thanks Masher88!

The difference is really impressive,indeed. And when the bass is plugged in a amp, that's awesome!!!
  9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  10. Humm...:cool: you found the Chuckii Booker's Front Line( on the album :Niice 'n' Wiilde)!!!
    Extremely funky!!!
    You may find the Soul Trilogy also...:hyper:
  11. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    frets or no?
    fender pups?
  12. It's a fretted with fender pups.:)
  13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I enjoyed that too :)
  14. BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    It's nice to hear a 70's JB get funked out like that.