Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lack of guitarists and drummers.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Gar....round my local area there seems to be far too many bassists,and not enuff guitarists and drummers. I wanna start a band, but everyone I know plays bass, apart from one mate who plays guitar....so we still need drummer and a vocalist.

Does anyone else find this happening to them? Oh yeah and I have advertised as well, no response so far...:(

2. Wow, usually the opposite is true. Bass players (real ones, not wankers or converted guitar players) seem to always be in demand in this neck of the woods.

Patience, my friend.... someday you will find your bandmembers and rejoice in harmonious epiphany.

Best of luck. :)

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There is a shortage Bassists in the Memphis area. There is a free local paper that always has several Ads looking for Bass players. This week it has 6.
    http://www.memphisflyer.com/claslist/music_ex.htm
    What gets me are the Ads where a "band" is looking for multiple members.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Where I am, every one and their brother plays guitar (not well, necesarily). Opposite of your problem, I guess. My situation works for me. As one of the few bassists in the area, I can pick and choose pretty well.

5. Here in Colorado theres a shortage of bassist. Last time I checked out the wanted ads at Guitar Center there was about 10-12 bassist wanted ads and maybe 2 looking for a guitarist-drummer, no singer wanted ads. So this is good for me and my fellow bassist we have plenty of bands to join. Just the sad part is out of those 10-12 wanted ads only 4 were for people over the age of 18, Guess kids really like to start bands young here in colorado :rolleyes:

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    At my school there are loads of people that play guitar maybe 5-10 drummers and i think about 8 bassists. Out of all those 3 of the drummers [set players], a chunk of the guitarists, and 3 bassists are in the band department. One of the bassists plays trombone, and is a freshman; the other plays for our JV showchoir, and the 3rd one is me-i'm the #1 bass guitarist in the department i play for our Varsity Show Choir, marching band, jazz band [i'm also a doubler], pep band, and then play DB for a concert band. I've had the problem with not being able to find a steady group that will rehearse so i've given up on finding a "rock" based group and am in the process of getting together a Big Band style group: 1 bone, 1-2 trumpets, tenor & alto sax, drums, piano, guitar [maybe], me. Thats all

7. In my area, drummers are at a real premium. My lad (8) is quite an accomplished drummer - seriously. Where he goes for lessons there are hoards of ads asking for drummers and his teacher noted how difficult it is to find them in the locality. He's performed with out (rock) band 2 or 3 times so I could ship him over to the Pool if you like:eek:

Guitarists is a puzzle. I thought they were 10-a-penny. Interestingly, I saw a piece on breakfast TV about a week ago with Shadow's rythm ace, Bruce Welch. The thrust of the piece was the dramatic increase in all ages now buying electric guitars.

But we've been trying to get a singer fo at least a year. I do lead vocals at the moment. It's OK, but not the real answer.

John

8. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Funny thing. I went to the only music store in town (pop. 15,000) and asked about bass lessons. "Bass? No one in town plays that." HAHA Seems most folks in town want to play "exciting" instruments like drums and guitar. Meh.

9. According to statistics, there are 12 electric guitars sold for every one electric bass sold. The odds should therefore always be in the bassists favour.
    Drummers are my pet peeve. There are zillions of them, but only a handful that are any good. Even at regular gigging level, there are so many with crap time. I've played in many, many bands over the years because I'm a freelancer, and I'm blessed (or cursed) with very good time. I'm constantly amazed at how many working drummers speed up or slow down. I dont mind this as a rule, because I can hold the tempo and they'll usually hear it and come back, but some just dont listen to anything except themselves, so they get the old stand in front of them and glare treatment. :p

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Theres a shortage of Bass players around upstate NY too.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In my area, guitarists really are a dime-a-dozen, and finding drummers, singers, bassists, horns, etc. is the challenge. Hasn't been much consolation for me in trying to find a band, because local musicians' tastes seem to fall in a fairly narrow genre rut.

Local players love to gripe about the injustice of not being able to get a gig, or certainly a decent-paying one. They chide the 'traitor' clubs for bringing in out-of-town dance bands and paying them top dollar.

However, put up an ad on the most heavily-trafficked local musicians referral board to start a dance/pop band, and guess how many replies you'll get? I got zero, none, nadda!

Anyway, now that I've got in my daily whine, I'll bet that the overabunance of bassists you're encountering, zebraface, is a bit of a fluke. :)

12. Guitarist here are a dime a dozen, and drummers have their own cult. There are so many of 'em. Hence my name. 8 of my friends are talented drummers, then there are the, hmmmm, ones who lack in the talent department. I only know one other bassist, and he is incredible

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Around here, drummers are either morons taking a percussion class that carry drum sticks around school to look hardcore or extremely talented and about to graduate. Pain in the arse.

If you had 100 people from my school get in a crowd and scrunch up right together and spit right into the middle of the crowd, you'd hit a guitarist.

Horn players...I dunno, I guess they just don't exist or something. I'd love to get a cool jazz band going with me, a trumpet or two and a trombone, a percussionist, and possibly a guitarist. Too bad even the talented drummers and guitarists are either into power metal or punk. Grah.

14. Hey just an update people, I found a drummer, and he's amazing! He's only like 13 as well, and apparently one of the best in our area! And we decided on that one of the guitarists will sing, and I'm on backing vocals. So thats me happy...for now.

15. Glad things worked out for you...

too bad it wasn't like that for me,meh...I need to practice more,alot more...thanks for sharing your story w/ me....and remember...the best part of a band is having fun! so go do so!:p

I believe that Bass Players put the F.U in FUN:p

-Jon:oops:

16. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    I swear everyone is a bassist in my area, or they're guitarists in another functioning band. And any percussionists either can't properly work a set, or are too scared to play in front of people. That reaaaaaally screws me over...

17. Hey Secretdonkey, I know the problem. Where I live, there are many players, most of them jazzers, who bitch and grizzle about not getting gigs, about other people getting the gigs, about the money not being good enough etc, etc. They are mostly damn good players too, but have this real chip on their shoulders. They cant seem to accept that a); there is not the money around there used to be, and b); if they had a better attitude, they might get more gigs.
    Case in point. A few years ago, our university decided to expand its music dept to include jazz studies. A local guitarist (damn good one) got the job as head of jazz studies. The whiners spent the next year grizzling about him getting the job instead of one of them. The rub was that not one of them applied for the job! They all thought they were so good the job should have been offered to them!!