Lack of highly qualified bass repair persons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laklandplayer, May 6, 2003.

1. I am lamenting that fact that there are so few really good bass repairmen in the Memphis, TN area.

Is this epidemic common around the rest of the country?

I have to travel to Joe Glaser's place in Nashville (4 hours away) just to get a solid, good quality, reliable, repair or modification peformed on any of my instruments.

I do my own setups and minor adjustments but regarding the rest of my repair and modification needs I don't have the time, talent, desire, or work place to do them.

It seems to me that most of the local repair persons I've encountered have a lot of baggage... bad attitude and a terrible repair turn around time to boot.

It seems their fees vary depending on the time of the month it is (when the rent is due) and/or the mood they are in at the time you see them.

Any thoughts on this?

Just venting.....
  2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I know what you mean. I live in Rockford, IL. I blew a speaker in a SWR Goliath Jr. First off, the tech at the store I bought it fromn was a real d**k. Then he did not even hook it up after installing it. What a moron. How can you let a something leave your shop without testing it. He was like, "I tested it, it worked fine for me." What a d**k.

For bass work. I am only a hour and a half from the Lakland factory. So if I need any work done on my bass I will take it to them.

BTW, what is the music scene like in Memphis and Nashville. I am considering moving down there. Rockford is pretty much a Friday and Saturday town with a couple of mid-week open stages.