Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lack of highly qualified bass repair persons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laklandplayer, May 6, 2003.

1. I am lamenting that fact that there are so few really good bass repairmen in the Memphis, TN area.

Is this epidemic common around the rest of the country?

I have to travel to Joe Glaser's place in Nashville (4 hours away) just to get a solid, good quality, reliable, repair or modification peformed on any of my instruments.

I do my own setups and minor adjustments but regarding the rest of my repair and modification needs I don't have the time, talent, desire, or work place to do them.

It seems to me that most of the local repair persons I've encountered have a lot of baggage... bad attitude and a terrible repair turn around time to boot.

It seems their fees vary depending on the time of the month it is (when the rent is due) and/or the mood they are in at the time you see them.

Any thoughts on this?

Just venting.....

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I know what you mean. I live in Rockford, IL. I blew a speaker in a SWR Goliath Jr. First off, the tech at the store I bought it fromn was a real d**k. Then he did not even hook it up after installing it. What a moron. How can you let a something leave your shop without testing it. He was like, "I tested it, it worked fine for me." What a d**k.

For bass work. I am only a hour and a half from the Lakland factory. So if I need any work done on my bass I will take it to them.

BTW, what is the music scene like in Memphis and Nashville. I am considering moving down there. Rockford is pretty much a Friday and Saturday town with a couple of mid-week open stages.