Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lack of line voltage.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope this is the right fourm, this is the first time I've experienced this: I played a club gig last night and the line voltage there was terrible. All of our amps where clipping like crazy. The club's circuit also had a ton of noise that was audible through our amps. My Furman Power Conditioner's (aka: fancy power strip with lights) LEDs were going up and down, but they never dipped into the red. My amp also seemed to clip at a much lower volume than I'm accustomed to. I brought it home and it works fine. Outside of buying a spendy power-regulator is their anything I can do the next time I play this club?

Thanks in advance,
    -Art

2. Not much to be done about that, really, short of very expensive solutions. Using a balanced power transformer might alleviate some of the noise but it won't help with the line voltage.
    It stands to reason that your amps were clipping prematurely: A 10% reduction in line voltage translates to about a 20% reduction in output power capability.....

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Outside of buying a spendy power-regulator is their anything I can do the next time I play this club?

Did you talk to the club owner about it? The fix will have to come from his end.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks folks,
    I figured outside of a voltage regulator it was a no-fix situation. I doubt the club's manager or owner would be too concerned either. :(

Best regards,
    - Art

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    We use 2 APC 1200 watt line regulators -1 for our PA equipment and 1 for instrument amps. They are very helpful for clubs that have voltage problems and outdoor gigs where there is a limited amount of power.

The model we use is no longer sold, but APC's current 1200 watt version runs about $50:
    http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200
    They can be usually be found at computer retailers.

6. unfortuantely, when voltage regulators produce more voltage than the line voltage coming in, they do so by drawing more current. So if the circuit is already overloaded, circuit breakers may start tripping. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, they are doing they're job...but it leaves the band powerless.