Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lack of surplus on Fender American Deluxe Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello everyone,
    I'm having a real difficult time finding any used Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses. I've checked ebay, but the sellers are asking too much. Does anyone know where a good location is to find one of these?

Also, should I stay away from "new old stock" items? What exactly does this mean? What "NOS" tells me is that enough people have picked the instrument up and realized it is flawed some how, so it sits there for years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Keep your eyes open between ebay, here bass central you will see one pop up sooner or later.

As for NOS it simply means new basses with vintage looks. For example if youve ever seen Jaco's bass(all beat up) They actually make brand new basses that look just like his bass. Some people dig the old look. If you dont mind it go for it.

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
  4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey thanks,
    I saw those. Not really the color I'm after. I had clicked on that link a dozen times or so and finally decided against it. Hehe.

I've also been checking some retailers around the nation for used Deluxes. There just aren't any. The GCs up here in Minneapolis have not seen one for quite some time.

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Maybe because they posess a higher "keeper rate" than the standard models. Only reason I want to lose mine is that I would rather have a dark f'board.

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Gee, I thought "new old stock" meant that it has never sold and has been in the store for a long time...... :confused:

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That's exactly what new old stock means. It's a brand new instrument, it's just not from this year.

I think what the poster you quoted refers to is called relicing (spelling?). This is where the instrument is made to look aged right from the start.

8. Me too.

So, if this ISN'T what it means, what the hell does NOS mean (if not New Old Stock) ??? :confused: :confused:

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I believe you're right.

10. That's what I thought.

With the exception of NINO3000, we seem to be unanimous. :D :D

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NOS or New old stock basses are new basses that are still around after the year they were made. In Nov 2002 bought a MIA series bass brand new in the case in the box, it was a 2000 jazz. It had been in the warehouse for over a year. Fender has parts it uses just in case a bass comes back whether it's a bad neck or defect somewhere, after awile these parts will be used to make up an order or just to be used up as older stock. In Sept 2002 I ordered a MIM P in agave blue, Fender had not yet begun to ship these basses out but shipped me a new one with a 2000 neck! It also has a pickguard that say's 2001. Agave blue didn't come out until 2003, when they checked with Fender about ordering the bass for me there was no sku for it. (sku's are the bar code you see for tracking purposes on the hang tag) Mine was the first sent out in that color thus the 2000 neck.

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeah that's kind of what I thought it meant. From what I understand, Fender made a change to the Deluxes and went from a 9-volt, to an 18-volt for their actives. I'm going to try to get a more recent model if I can get my hands on one.

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Any idea when the change from 9 to 18 happened?

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The 9 to 18 change was relatively recent. I know they changed from Suhr designed electronics in 98 to the noisless series in 99. I think around 02-03 they went with the hotter preamp.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    In general NOS means that the bass is new but from an earlier year (sitting in storage unsold). Fender, however, has NOS reissues of their classic models, meaning they are newly built basses that look like if you just bought them back in the '60s, etc (exact specs and materials as the classic models). Relics are newly built basses that are treated to look worn-out (Jaco Relic, etc).

I have had two "older" Deluxe Jazzes (late '90s) and what I found was that the fretwork was really bad: badly finished fret ends and it was impossible to setup the basses with low action without buzzing below the 12th fret. The sound, however, was spectacular.

I have not tried the new ones, but all indicates they should be better (18-volts preamp, new pickups, 6-bolt neck . . . hopefully the fretwork is better).

Try www.drumcityguitarland.com for stock of new ones.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/inventory/Details.cfm?ProductTypeID=4&BrandID=13

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    BTW, I have a 98 Deluxe Jazz, and I won't part with it. It is a major keeper.

17. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I have an 02, and it's got the 18

18. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Check this out... I'm thinking about picking this up:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511524/

That's the one I saw on Drum City. I know they have one at Bass Central as well. In some pics, it looks brown, and in others, it looks more orange. Does anyone know the true color?

I would love to find a black one with tort pic guard, but I don't think they make that. Here is my first color choice of the ones they DO make, but they only make it with the ash wood:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511525/

4String4Ever, what color combo is yours?

19. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Mine is Red (I think they call it Bing Cherry) FMT with a maple board and gold abalone block inlays. You can get black, but you'll have to spring for the tort pickguard I think.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you do happen to get one, and change the pickuguard, remember that it is not the standard size. It is a bit smaller. There are some places out there that make the Deluxe size as a standard option.