1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lack of tech. or bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by machine gewehr, May 1, 2006.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I am still working on my plucking hand and it gets really better.First I made it fast and now I'm making it smooth with a lighter touch. The problem is I can play unplugged but when I plug my bass the sound is not precise,it gets muddy,my 16th's start to sound like 8s :confused:

I know all my attacks are not balanced perfectly but It really shouldn't sound like that.I'm wondering ıf I should blame my Washbburn xb120 for not taking everything I play or blame my technique?

BTW I always blame my technique and always practice to get better with technique.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If your technique sounds bad when playing through an amp, then practice with an amp more. A lot of technique issues aren't apparent when playing an electric bass unplugged.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I find it easier to play fast and with a lot of control on a 35" scale bass. The string tension should generally be a bit tighter because of the larger scale.

It is probably your technique though. But a high end instrument can facilitate things a bit.

4. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Thanks for the replies you have been really helpful! I'm gonna blame my tech. again and work on it!
    But here's one thing I just discovered.I raised the strings to the top and played plugged and I was so precise and lowered them down and again I sucked,:confused:

What could be reason for that,its interesting...