Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lacking definition...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Not even sure is this is the right forum but here goes.

As many of you know my main gig is a church thing (acoustic/electric guitar, drums, keyboards, piano, electric 5-string fretless bass and 2 or 3 singers), but sometimes we do special music and the whole mix changes (2 electric guitars, drums, percussion, keyboards, piano, electric 5-string fretless bass, upright bass (plucked and bowed) and 1 or 2 singers). Now here's my question: how do I keep the sounds of the 2 basses from mixing with each other and becoming mud? Right now, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. :rolleyes:

2. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    You need to make sure to play in different ranges. It's honestly probably too much to have two basses since you've already got guitar, keys, and piano. There's just not enough space.

If you really need to try, then one of you needs to play with a really midrangey Jaco tone and the other guy needs to cover the really deep bass. I would think the bowed upright should get the midrangey tone and your electric should provide the bottom. The upright guy can try to play more cello-like flowing lines. Less is more...

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Agreed.

Try to make it so that its almost like 2 different instruments with different sonic space and different roles.

Like a rythym and lead guitar duo, but less irritating and a smaller ego. :D

Peace
    Nick

4. Once at my church gig the bassist who had the job before me was in town and came by to sit in. We had two electric bassists on the gig. Since I am a stronger soloist, I let him take the bass line and I played the thirds of each chord high up on the neck. It sounded pretty good. For your situation, I would recommend either playing exactly the same bass line as the other player, both players playing very simple lines in different space, or somebody jumping to a lead role or chords. (watch out for angry guitarist).

5. Thanks for the replies... I really like the idea of the bowed upright doing a cello kind of thing, that should clean up the bottom end and make for some interesting sounds.

Bass is just so cool, if it didn't exist we'd have to invent it!