Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laco tayfa,Has anybody heard of this band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by adisu, Jun 22, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    They are turkish and play in the genre of ethnic/turkish music in fusion with other styles like jazz and funky.

They have a bassist called "Nurhat Sensesli" (it's hard to pronounce his turkish name) and he gives a lot of funky groove to this band.

He is a realy good bass player (he gives many amazing fast but yet very musical solos).

I recommend to all of you free minded bassists to have a listen to this band ,they are a very good band with a great bass player.
    Here is a link to some info about the band.
    laco tayfa

Enjoy.

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Sounds very cool.

I enjoyed the Cheb Khaled album with Don Was playing bass. I think middle eastern music is very cool.

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I have a few records by them. I must admit, it was an eye opening experience. The bassist is killin! :smug:

4. capcom

capcom

Mar 23, 2005
    "Nurhat Şensesli" is very famous among musicians in Turkey. I also recommend you to listen to the recordings of "Kamil Erdem" with "Asia Minor" Group and "Gürol Ağırbaş"'s solo albums.

5. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Listen Laco Tayfa - Hicaz Dolap

6. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks man i'll check it out...any good bass player over there???

BTW "Nurhat Şensesli" is good enough to be known among worldwide musicians and not only in turkey (IMHO of course)

7. capcom

capcom

Mar 23, 2005
    Indeed "Nurhat Şensesli" deserves to be known worldwide.

There is also "İsmail Soyberk". Famous session bass player who played on thousands of records. He is like "James Jamerson" of Turkey. But i guess he does not have any solo albums.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I guess we would this "Klezmer" here in the US.

I checked your link out...very, very cool band.
    Thanks.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Got Hicaz Dolap in the mail yesterday.

The bassist, Nurhat Sesesli, is blistering.
    He reminded me of a cross between Stanley Clarke & early (electric)Brian Bromberg.

So far, I would say I am not blown away by the tune-age on the disc; it's not that I'm not interested in this sorta ethnic stuff, either. Granted, I need a few more listens; 1st impression? Just a bit 'smooth around the edges' for me.

FWIW, I also just got David Fiuczynski's KiF...IMO, the tunes are a little more interesting.

10. If anyone is interested, Nurhat is selling one of his Ken(t?)Smith basses. You can see it at Akdeniz music in Tünel. I think he wants around $4500 for it.

11. Radi

Radi

Nov 19, 2006
    Bulgaria,Sofia
    Hi,friends!Is enybody knows some e-mail for contact with Nurhat Sensesli?

12. found this on youtube

13. Gardner, as an old TMBG fan, I just have to say I got a big smile from the "location" in the heading of your post. :)

14. nurhat

nurhat

Oct 25, 2007
    please guyes i need to know what bass Nurhat use in Surmat ? the slap solo at the begining

15. Radi

Radi

Nov 19, 2006
    Bulgaria,Sofia
    It's very hard to find any information about Nurhat!If somebody have anythihg like information please let mi know.Bass Regards.....Radi Dankov(bassplayer from the band IKADEM)

16. Radi

Radi

Nov 19, 2006
    Bulgaria,Sofia
    Ken Smith,my friend!

17. Radi

Radi

Nov 19, 2006
    Bulgaria,Sofia
    He have several of them!

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can hear Stanley Clarke, but my man loves his Wooten too!

19. I'll try to visit his concert tomorrow - I'll let you know.

20. FelixC

FelixC

Jan 24, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hard to believe, that's a Cort A4.