Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lacquer finish on Afzalea wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rotorheadcase, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi all...

I have a Streamer Stage II which uses Afzalea wood for the body which is quite soft. As careful as I am with it I can't seem to avoid getting small nicks and marks on it from use and the area where I rest my thumb just above the neck pickup is constantly showing signs of wear. I find myself steaming out the dents and re-waxing it on a regular basis.

I'm thinking of sanding down the whole body and back of the neck and then applying a urethane satin finish to help give it a bit more durability. I'm loathing the thought of altering the natural appearance of the wood but I don't know any other way to go to make it more hard-wearing for gigging.

Anyone every tried doing this before? Am I going to make it worse by applying a lacquer over such a soft wood? Do I need to use any special solvent to get rid of the wax and oil finish? Any other suggestions???

Thanks