Lacquer finish problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by m_u, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Keep

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Return

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Hi everyone, I am not sure where to post it but i think this Is a right place.

I bought a 2004 musicman Stingray5 for approx 800$ (I live in Australia). When it arrived I found that on the back side of the body there are wave like lines in lacquer finish. They are about 0.2mm height and can be recognised if you touch them. They affect aprox 1/3 of the back of the body and you can draw in almost perfect rectangle around them. It is hard to explain so please look at the photos.
    I suspect the the bass was stored in very humid place but I am not shure.
    I have 2 options - to refund the bass, or ask the seller to refund me some money and keep it. I am not very confident what is the right decision so I decided to ask here.

Thanks
    image5 (1).JPG image3.JPG image1.JPG image7.JPG . image14.JPG image11.JPG image4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Is it an ash body? Those almost look like grain lines underneath the finish, as if the finish has sunk into them. Seeing it in person, does something like that seem plausible, or does it seem to be externally derived rather than internally?

BrBss and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    1. Totally up to you, as it was your purchase, not mine.
    2. If it would have been mine, returning it would definitely be an option, especially if seller did not offer description/pic of said 'flaw'.
    3. It is on the back, and the mirror-like finish looks pretty awesome to me. I'm wondering if a buffer wasn't left on there, too long...? If you hadn't told me that was the back of your bass, I would've thought I was looking at an actual pic, with a cool effect applied to it.
    4. If it sounds great, I'm saying keep it, especially @ $800.
    Enjoy it, brother! BTW, I have an '80 Ric 4001 (purchased new) with what I consider a manufacturer 'flaw'... and my OCD allowed me to keep it... cause it's awesome.

Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati and m_u like this.
  4. Yes It is an ash body. All the other finish seems fine. And those "waves" are like wave crest or mountain range (sorry, english is not my native language and it's a bit hard to explain) so they are slightly above the body. There are no other scratches around them and they looks like something internally caused them

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. The seller listed it "As New" condition, in addition he tries to assure me that the bass was in perfect condition when he send it to me. Having said that I think that may be during transportation it was left near the heater

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It is a possibility that seller purchased it, in the same condition as you received it... did seller offer multi-angled pics? If 'flaw' was indeed heat induced, I would think evidence would exist also on shipping container, as well as insulating material/case... any?

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    What's the serial number on the bass, and where was purchase made from? Find it hard to believe EBMM would QC (allow) that, unless at an extreme discount...

8. The serial is E40154. I asked MusicMan Directly and their answer is "This StingRay 5 was completed on March 29th, 2004. The color is Black with the Maple neck. It was originally shipped to CMC Music". I continued my investigation and found out that CMC Music is an Australia MusicMan distributor (not Wholesale). Having said that I think that it was not stored properly (in the attic or may be in wardrobe etc).
    The seller did offered multi-angle pics and everything was fine. I can post them here.
    The bass was shipped in music man hard case packed inside a carton self made box.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    In pic #5, it almost looks as though the ripples stop on a straight line... either conjoined wood, or your ceiling to a wall... which is it?

JustDavid likes this.
  10. Yes they stop on a straight line. As I mentioned - you can draw almost a perfect rectangle around them

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Pics of the back of the bass... from seller... before you purchased...

12. Here you go.

I'm chatting with seller and he thinks that it was damaged during transportation.
    Anyway it was purchased via ebay and the listing was "Music Man 5 string bass. As new. No scratches or blemishes." so I can return it

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    If you're saying that the lacquer is above the surrounding surface (so little mountains) then it could probably be level sanded out. Have you been in touch with a luthier?

Dadagoboi likes this.
  14. Not yet. I moved to Australia 1 year ago so I know almost nobody :) Now I'm trying to find out what is the best option for this particular instrument - return it or keep.

15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for getting the pics... if those are seller's original pics, they seem to be ripple free, from what I can see... no visible damage to case, or container? Who's covering discrepancy? Seller, or E-Bay?

16. No visible damage to the package. The package was shipped as fragile via courier service. I think I can claim all the price as item arrived damage. If I do it via ebay - I have to send the bass back and receive a refund from the seller (this is how ebay works I think). Or I can ask the seller to refund me some money (he is almost ready to do it) and keep it

17. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    If if sounds good and plays good, which I imagine it does :), take him up on the refund and keep it. Deal with the finish later if it proves to be worth it.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed... anything could have happened between when the seller took his pics, and actually sold/shipped the bass, right?

m_u and Tom Bomb like this.
  19. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    That beauty would look good in my amoury :D

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Ok. I think I've found a luthier near my place. I'll try to reach him and ask for a repair cost. After that i'll ask the seller to cover those expenses.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021