Lacquer Head (I feel sick)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Jan 1, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw/heard Primus' "Lacquer Head" video today for the first time.:eek: Consequently, after seeing Claypool's little solo, I haven't touched any of my basses today and feel a little queasy. It's like Les is going":p"

Have any of you seen/heard it? Am I the only one who gets this way when utterly humbled?:rolleyes:
  2. He does that a lot
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heard it, seen it, and When ever I'm humbled, I try harder to be better than the guy who humbled me...of course, when that Les or Jaco, I have to work pretty hard ;)
  4. I haven't been playing that long, so I'm already very humble :D But, when I hear Les or another great player do a neat trick like that part in "Laquer Head" (isn't that the coolest little run???), it just inspires me. If you ever need a good pick-me-up, I recommend picking up the Neil Peart: A Work in Progress video. It shows Neil as a real guy who practices a TON to be as brilliant as he is: and even after being one of the best drummers on the planet for years, he went back and took lessons that altered his style and made him BETTER! That video is VERY inspiring! And, as a rhythm player, you can get a lot out of it musically.
  5. Are you talking about the whole song? Because that's what humbles me.

Or are you talking about a particular part, if so, please tell me the time of the song when it happens, so I can be humbled too! Hehehehe...
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

While it is all very skillful, I can handle the chords alternating with thumb slaps during the verses and chorus reasonably well, technique-wise. But in the middle, Les takes this short break, during which, he plays like blinding triplets with lightning thumbs slaps interspersed. Afterwards, I change to clean underwear.
  7. Hehe, now that you mention it, that is SPIFFIN! Exceptionally rufus.

[Edited by ThePaste on 01-07-2001 at 02:12 PM]
  8. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    It's not hard to do once you learn it. although it took me 3 years of playing bass to do.

just practice it realy slow and speed up.

he does a double slap with his right hand
    then a hammer on with his left
    then another slap
    then a pluck
    then another hammer on

by the way, its all muted.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  10. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i can do the boogatickaboogatickaboogaticka thing, the solo is the same thing only twice as fast and 2 slaps on the e string instead of one. i'm still working on that, probably for a long time.