Laddies and Lasses - show me your Irish/Celtic rock love

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The manager of the club we are playing Sat nite has asked use to DJ some celtic style drinking music during the breaks. Can anyone clover me?

2. Any and all Irish Rovers tunes you can download!

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  3. Molly Malone is one i like.
    :)

4. Wissen

Wissen Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I am a bassist first and long time TBer, but a mandolin and some Celtic music dug deep under my skin a few years ago, so I now play mando and banjo in a Celtic Punk band. Here is what we are listening to:

Celtic Rock/Punk:
    • Young Dubliners - especially the album With All Due Respect. Brilliant takes on a bunch of Irish standards
    • Flogging Molly - of course
    • Dropkick Murphys - I don't actually love them, but they are obligatory on any list like this
    • The Tossers - tremendous band out of Chicago, the best band I know for drinking music you might not actually know the words to
    • Flatfoot 56 - another tremendous Chicago band, but more punk than Celtic
    • The Real McKenzies - Celtic punk from Canada. Loud, rowdy, drunk, and old. These guys have seen everything and done everything
    • Kilmaine Saints - good friends of ours, they have put out a lot of great music over the years
    • Shilelagh Law - Just learning about them, and the more I hear the more I like
    • The Rumjacks - Australian punk band that would have taken over America by now if they weren't on the other side of the world
    • I would plug Hold Fast here, but our album is stuck in post-production purgatory. March is a busy month for a Celtic punk band!
    Traditional Folk Bands
    • The Dubliners - The godfathers of Irish folk music
    • The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem - the lighter side of Irish folk, but just as important as The Dubliners
    • The Irish Rovers - mentioned above, a solid recommendation
    • The Irish Descendents - Second generation, but very traditional. Just like second wave ska, we're talking about the 90s
    • The High Kings - a polished commercial product that does strictly covers of traditional tunes. Nevertheless, they are great at what they do
    • Gaelic Storm - I debated which category to put them in. They do a lot of originals, but they also do plenty of traditionals
    Instrumental Irish Folk
    • We Banjo 3 - Enda Scahill is widely recognized as the greatest Irish tenor banjo player ever, but the rest of his bandmates (his brother and a pair of brothers that started as his students) are not far behind him. Best show I've ever seen in my life
    • Planxty - old school, pretty dull by today's standards, but giants of the genre
    • Socks In The Frying Pan - young guys doing a great job
    • The Chieftains - another monumental name in the history of Irish Traditional Music
    • Danu - instrumental, great for interludes
    • Beoga - ditto
    • Talisk - ditto
    • Teada - ditto

Ahem. I'm done. If you want specific song recommendations from there, I'm game.

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Irish drinking music? :D what about...

the-pogues.jpg

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

RSBBass, Marley's Ghost and Wissen like this.
  6. Wissen

Wissen Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    My God, how did I miss the Pogues? That's grounds for having my flat cap taken away...

7. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA

8. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    Daath for the metalheads
    In the light-led zepplin
    Van Morrison
    Cranberries
    U2

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    maybe because they were from London? :laugh::roflmao:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Wissen likes this.
  10. <self-plug>Back in the '90s I did a couple of records with a somewhat funky Celtic roots band, some trad stuff and some not. It may fit the bill for you, or may not.

Kips Bay Ceili Band, Digging In
    Kips Bay (shortened name for 2nd album), Into The Light

The records may be out of print for all I know; they were originally on Green Linnet.</self-plug>

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Some Canadian content:

Great Big Sea - anything off of thier "Play" album
    Spirit of the West - Home for a Rest
    Jimmy George - anything off the "Month of Sundays" album
    Stan Rogers - Barrett's Privateers

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    btw: Happy St. P- day everybody!!!

th?id=OIP.iS3_jd51Dkp45SC0d7b5HQHaIF&pid=15.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D don' t drink that stuff, you will.... :vomit: :roflmao:

Wise(b)ass

Oddly likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Horslips. Dearg Doom.

Wisebass likes this.
  14. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Cranberries, Karine Polwart. Sorry, a little late but that's always for next year. A tribute to Cranberries was probably already obvious.

15. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Celtic Metal - Eluveitie. They have songs in Gaulish, which is an extinct Celtic language. I friggin love that band.

16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Name the other six Celtic nations.....:woot:

17. SouthTippBass

SouthTippBass

Jul 22, 2010
    Oops, they're Swiss! Thats what you get when you assume! Will have to listen to Eluveitie now to see what they're like.

18. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Oh come one 17 posts and no one mentions the obvious

Wisebass and Oddly like this.
  19. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021