Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Sadowsky #4365 officially exists

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, folks, I thought I'd start a new thread now that this bass exists. Mods, feel free to merge it if you're in a cruel mood.

Anyway, this showed up at my office today. When I opened the case, I just gasped, and it took me five minutes to catch my breath. The sad part is, pictures can't do this bass any kind of justice. It emits light on its own. It's a piece of art. I e-mailed Kevin and told him that, although I hadn't played it, it wasn't coming back to the shop even if it sounded like a Wishnevsky. I got a nice e-mail from Roger later on ... he's a first-class guy.

Anyway, I got to play it for a while tonight. When I started playing though, there was a BIG problem. It was out of tune. I mean, a brand new Sadowsky bass, and it's out of tune! Luckily, I have a rack tuner with my amp, so I took 30 seconds to tune it up. Then it sounded fantastic.

Now I see why you want the vintage tone control on these basses. As I had hoped, this bass has a lot of bite (more than any other Sadowsky I've played). It really sizzles, even with the treble flat (all the way down). You need to roll off the VTC a little to cut some of the string noise. It's got all the tone I had hoped for, and more.

Options: Fancy gold hardware, abalone dots, ebony 'board, and the fabulous reverse-wired pickup blend pot. Now I'll have to decide whther it ever leaves the house.

One last thing, Rader, I no longer covet your spalt ... that much.

2. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  3. Congrats man! That's a beautiful bass. Love the top on it!

4. If I were to get a Sadowsky, I'd want one just like that!

I'm putting together a bass with a koa body. I've never played one, much less owned one. I'll be interested to hear how it sounds. It looks beautiful, but not as nice as yours!

Post some soundclips if you get a chance.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, I don't play bass. I just rescue and collect them.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    are you kidding me? :confused:

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Just a little.

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, that is breathtaking. I actually gasped out loud.

That is even nicer than the "one that got away". Easily.

Enjoy!
    Marshall

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks man. I agree. The flame on this one is consistent all the way across.

10. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'm not a big fan of Sadowsky but I must say that is stunning....congrats Munji ! :eek: :bassist:

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sweet bass Munji, far to pretty to play in a skanky bar, glass showcase material. I have a feeling you'll enjoy it with your DB 750. my Metro sure sounds sweet with the aggie! Be sure you post in the "show your budget basses thread"! :p

12. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    :eek: A man after my own heart! Gold hardware+flame koa (i think) + ebony + five strings = dream bass

13. uhhh, next time you are in SD, i wanna try it!!! but my grubby mitts are probably not worthy of the Munji-Sad....

14. Malodorous

Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    Illinois
    That is gorgeous to say the least, congratulations.

15. That is a Beauty!! Makes me REALLY want mine NOW!!! I got months to wait!!! YOU are a lucky man Munji....

Peace,

T

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Wow. I bet the finish on that is inches deep. Can you see all the way to the bottom? :D

+1 on not taking that to a bar gig. Unless you're playing in front of an audience of at least a few hundred appreciative and well-behaved (i.e. not drunk) people, I'd be afraid to take it on stage. It would be an epic tragedy if something happened to that work of art (for some reason, "bass" seems inadequate). :bag:

Congratulations. Now go play it and report back later on the tone if you have any strength in your fingers for typing when you're finally done. :D

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    What part of town are you in? We'll be playing at Cheers in Ramona on July 29, and at Game Time Tavern (formerly Dad's, where David met Brenda) in Poway on August 6. I doubt I'll be bringing Jupiter (#4365's new name) to any dives like that though.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So where will you take it?

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Perhaps down to Baskin-Robbins for a little Jamocha Almond Fudge. I don't know. A wedding reception? I'll be playing it July 16th at a corporate gig at the Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines.

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'll try and remember that.