Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 28, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've recently tried a number of effects, looking for the one that would restore the joy to living. Tried a Pod. Tried a Digitech BP-50. Most recently I tried a E-H Bass Microsynth and a Digitech Bass Synth Wah. For me, there's no comparison. The E-H kills. Sure, it's 4 times more money, but I couldn't find any good sounds on the Digitech. I mean, they were good, I guess, but not usable for me. All were too extreme. The E-H on the other hand, can get extreme, but subtlety abounds. Plus, I got mine used from a fellow TB'er.

The big advantage of the E-H is control. Start freq, stop freq, sub-octave, octave, square wave and so on are all individually controllable. Programmability would be nice, but being able to tweak all these things individually makes up for that (for me, anyway).

And the sound. I used to pooh-pooh the idea that there was a really appreciable difference between analog and digital effects. But for me, the Digitech is too clean. The E-H box has a friendlier sound IMO. Plus, with the E-H, you can blend the dry and effected sound, which would require some sort of mixer with the Bass Synth Wah.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    If you like the EH, see if you can get your hands on an Akai Deep Impact bass synth. Try that one, you might like it.

3. Beauville

Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    What's the deal with all the bold?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Why not?

:D

Great to hear you like the EH. I have yet to get my hands on one, but I feel like I will order one at some point over the summer.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    When I sold off 18 of my 22 (very expensive) pedals, the EH MicroSynth is one of the 4 pedals I kept. I love them things.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    John Dvorak used to do that in his columns for Computer Shopper. I thought it was cool. Sometimes I like to add emphasis.