1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lado Re-build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bulltrout, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I just bought the body of an old Lado for $100 Canadian, so I'm going to take a shot at re-finishing and rebuilding this guy. Looks like someone tried a fretless conversion and the fret board shows signs of damage and repairs, so Ill try to fix the fetboard up, and if that doesn't work a new fret board. Apart from that the body is in good shape but missing some of the hardware: P bass pickup, bridge stud, fret dots truss cover, but should be pretty achievable (I hope).

Anyone know anything bout the humbucker pickup? Looks like a DiMarzio.

Anyhow, pics:

th_DSCF0088-1. th_DSCF0084. th_DSCF0085. th_DSCF0086-2. th_DSCF0087-2.

th_DSCF0087-2. th_DSCF0089-2. th_DSCF0090-3. th_DSCF0091-2.

2. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Ok, a couple of hours with a sanding block and fret saw and the neck is looking a lot better and now has nice 12 inch radius. It looks really dark right now because I conditioned the fret board and the wood was pretty thirsty. Anyhow I think the fretboard will stay even though I had to knock it down to the fret markers. More pics from today:

th_DSCF0095-1. th_DSCF0096-1. th_DSCF0097-1. th_DSCF0098-1.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    nice!

4. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Exact same thing I had way back then. Is it heavy ? I remember mine being a good 12 lbs easily.

5. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    This one doesn't feel heavy at all, but I'll have to weigh it once all it's guts are back in.

6. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I rebuilt a Lado for a fellow TBer a few years back, good thing you could salvage the fingerboard the one I worked on had to have its replaced and it was epoxied on, wasn't fun taking it off!

7. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If I was really ambitious I would take it off because I had to knock down 3mm off the fretboard and some of the side-markers are starting to show, but it's for me so... Anyhow, here's today's instalment. Mixed a slurry of fretboard dust with epoxy and did the abalone inlays. Pics (these really aren't good ones as they don't show the subtle colours in the inlay, but enough to get the idea, kinda):

th_DSCF0092-2. th_DSCF0093-2. th_DSCF0094-1. th_DSCF0095-2.

8. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Frets are now in:

th_DSCF0001-1-1. th_DSCF0002.

9. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    First coat of finish:

th_DSCF0008-2. th_DSCF0009-2. th_DSCF0010-2.

10. cubby

cubby

Mar 21, 2009
    :bassist:hey,I've seen your thread regarding your lado bass looks great by the way. The question i had to you is this, I also have a bass very similar to yours.Mine being a 1985 lado rocker bass(i think).Serial # R-2-112,the problem i'm haveing is the bridge (which sits quite high) is showing some serious metal fatigue,I've e-mailed lado to see if I could buy a new replacement bridge, but they won't respond to my e-mail.Did you buy any replacement parts for yours and do you happen to know where or how I could buy a bridge for my lado?

11. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    That's a Schaller 460 bridge, they no longer list it on their website but you should be able to turn one up. Applestone in the UK have them for sure. Incidentally, the humbucker is, I'm sure, a Schaller Bassbucker.

12. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre

Nov 22, 2004
    I had the same bass a long time ago, in the 80's - in fact, I had 3 of these basses (2 fretted and one fretless) and the pickups were DiMarzios.

13. Mcjt

Mcjt

May 2, 2009
    Montreal QC
    3.5 years later....
    that's a Model G pickup from Dimarzio.
    Cool build! i'm rebuilding a Lado too

14. Bulltrout

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Cool! Post some pics.

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Funny I don't remember this thread from it's original posting, but if you still need a bridge stud, I'm pretty sure I have one from the same bass. In fact, I'm from Edmonton, so it might actually even be the SAME bass... :)

16. Cool looking bass, really digging the 2x2 headstock. All the Lado basses I remember from the 80s/90s were the pointy toothpick kind with 4 inline tuners. Much prefer the non-pointy.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread; any more pics of Lados out there?

17. Mcjt

Mcjt

May 2, 2009
    Montreal QC
    Sorry, Bulltrout! i didn'T see that you asked to see my Lado project :)
    It's coming along very slowly....
    but i found a 6s to match :)

8857000865_71ea1a200a_c.
    23363190130_7e01576f17_c.
    8857612414_f60ddff8a9_c.