1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lady Gaga's Oscar Performance Impressive

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Gluvhand likes this.
  2. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Agree. People were surprised because didn't listen her work with Tony Bennett. There are several clips on the internet with her singing and playing piano too, it's easy to realize that she is an amazing singer.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Didn't catch it but I heard comments ranging from "WOW! She really can sing!" To "I never realized just how pretty she is."

Reminds me of the first time I heard Christina Aguilera throw down some serious blues. She's another of those you realize is making bank as a pop diva, but has actual talent.

Kinda makes me sad that those with something special to share with the world often get reduced to the freakshow of the minute in order to make a decent living with their gift. Not sad for them, they are making serious bank in the music biz and that in and of itself is something of a rare accomplishment.

My sorrow is for people so vapid that smarmy pop with no more depth than your average bottle cap has more appeal than a display of heartfelt emotion expressed through music.

Fernando Costa likes this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

It was clear to me from the beginning that the "pop monster" thing was going to get tired and she would need to reinvent herself. The question was whether she would have Madonna's ability to do so or if she would fizzle. About the time of Born that Way, it really looked like she had run out of ideas. Now she seems to have successfully engineered a new identity, and we'll see how far it takes her before she has to reinvent again.

There's no doubt that she's talented, I always thought so. Most of these pop divas are. For that matter, a lot of people are. I knew a dozen different girls in college who could have sung that medley as well as Gaga did. The problem is not usually lack of talent, it's smothering that talent in sure-thing lowest-common denominator pop tunes rather than activating it in something creative or meaningful. She has ability but I never heard much of significance in her music.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    She was always supremely ambitious. A fair pianist/singer when she was known as Stefani Germanotta, but not distinctive enough to make a career.

I read that she took additional singing lessons every day for 6 months in anticipation of this event, which was planned to change her image.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    She plays well. Voice has improved over time.

7. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    My ten year old told me a joke a while back...

How do you wake up Lady Gaga?
    Poker Face

I laughed.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    love that lady, though i don't patronize her work.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    She's super talented and I've always enjoyed her work. Even the first time I heard Pokerface, I knew it was a little something more than what was going for throwaway Top 40 pop at the time.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021