Ladybug infestation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bolophonic, Mar 22, 2014.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I am working on my farmhouse renovation and today was one of the first few beautiful days of spring. Unfortunately, a giant swarm of hibernating ladybugs has sprung to life and crawled out of the woodwork in the only functioning bathroom in the house. There are hundreds of them creeping around and testing their wings. Also, a little bird flew past the door when I was in there and chirped at me. Nature keeping me company, I suppose.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

How do you get ladybugs out of the bathroom?

Leave a trail of aphids out the door...............?

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I have been having dozens of ladybugs in my bedroom often the last several weeks. I just sucked some up with my vacuum cleaner today. They like to gather on the window. Somehow, the sunshine attracts them to the window.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC

Yes!

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ladybugs are beneficial in gardens, as are praying mantis, though I suppose a massive infestation of anything can be just too much.

6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Open the window.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation ever...much better than cockroaches. I turn the lights on and a bunch of koala bears scatter. I'm like, "hey, hold on fellas! Lemme hold one of you, and feed you a leaf".

Koalas, they're so ****ing cute. Why do they gotta be so far away from me? They should ship a few over, and I will apprehend one...and hold him...and pet him on the back of his head.

- Mitch Hedberg -

8. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    You think you've got problems? I've got drop bears under the pool table. The minute you get the rest out...

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have a hard time killing ladybugs, or any beneficial insect, but I came close to doing it today. In the end, I let them be: most will find their way outside, and the ones that don't will get swept up with the sawdust.

I also uncovered many stinkbug nests when I was dismantling one of the barns this winter. They had similar nesting habits to ladybugs. Baby stinkbugs are beautiful square green beetles, but I showed them no mercy whatsoever.

10. Nurseries, Home Depot, and Lowes sell them to help keep the Aphid population in check - I think you lucked out, and they won't hurt anything in your house.

If they really BUG you ... gather them up, and send them to me!

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I had to Google that! :p

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I love ladybirds (as we call them over here).

Pics?

13. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    I actually had a ladybird infestation in my pool table. No word of a lie. Not drop bears.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC

We have hundreds of thousands of them. Colonies all over the farm. It is kind of weird when they are flying into your hair and crawling into your ears and clothing.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Bag 'em and sell them to your florist .

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I should.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You sure they're not those fake ladybugs? We have fake ladybugs around here: I go "hey, look at the cute lady bugs. Wait that's not a lady bug, it's a, an impostor!" I have no problems killing the impostors.

Lady bugs need to get out of doors soon after awaking. Once it is warm enough they leave the house because, like teenagers, there's nothing there for them. Just let them alone and soon the aphid apocalypse will begin and they'll leave en masse.

18. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
  19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    A value graph for comparison : fifty ladybugs or predators are worth one run of the mill orchid to someone who maintains lots of tropicals.

20. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    If you have a mealy bug infestation (more involved) the ladybugs are even more valuable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021