Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LaFaro "Autumn Leaves"

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hey Everybody, so I crack open my new Bill Evans Trio book yesterday and proceeded to dig into a great standard "Autumn Leaves", i've always been blown away by Lafaro and pretty much anything he's done, but after finally analyzing one of his solos I dig him that much more, I consider myself a very quick learner, but man I spent hours learning the first 12 bars of his solo on this, at tempo too, great stuff, this book is going to keep me busy for a good solid year of practicing everyday....non-Lafaroists who say he can't swing, take a listen to this track....it's truly sickening

2. Hello, Marc. What version are you talking about? Portrait in Jazz or the Complete Bill evans on Verve?

Also, there´s Nardis on Bill Evans Explorations, the solo is written at Bass Tradition by Todd Coolman.

Where did you get the Book, I´m also a big fan of Scotty´s.

bye,

3. HI There, the version i'm learning is the one on Portrait in Jazz, the book is published by Hal Leonard, I know a new book has recently come out by another doublebassist, Phil Palombi (i think) it sounds like it's simply the Lafaro solos, this book by Hal Leonard has the complete bass, piano and drum transcriptions from various albums, Portrait, Waltz for Debby, Vanguard and Explorations.....pretty overwhelming stuff if you want to learn them note for note, i'll be spending a good chunk of time on Autumn Leaves alone

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    http://www.philpalombi.com/book.shtml

Palmobi's book. It's transcriptions of all 15 LaFaro solos from VV and Waltz for Debby.

Sounds awesome. I'm trying out a bunch of tunes for my audition pieces, and pulled out Gloria's Step today as a possibility. I started transcribing his playing during the first chorus and it'd be really cool to have a kind of "answer book" with which to check against, but unfortunately this tune isn't in there.

5. Bassphil

Bassphil Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Hi Aaron,

Actually, the transcriptions of both Gloria's Step solos are in Palombi's book. I'm certain of it, since I wrote it :)

Of course transcribing the solo yourself is definitely the way to go. There's a great program called "The Amazing Slowdowner" that works unbelievably well, and it's really cheap. I highly recommend it.

Good Luck,

-Phil

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Phil, sorry for the miscommunication -- I was referring to the Bill Evans Trio book mentioned in the original post, not your book.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  8. Bassphil

Bassphil Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Sure thing- I'll head over there right now.