1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laid Off Today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Seems that my job hired too many new people for all the positions that ended up being used.

I am a special needs children's aide on school buses and the county directs the hiring for the company I work for, indirectly. They asked the company to hire more aides for routes, because they felt like they needed more of the routes to have "oversight" of the special needs children on their way to and from school. Which, IMO, every route with special needs children needs an aide on the bus. The driver can't handle these kids on their own most of the time.

Anyways, so the company hires more over the summer to fill the positions the county directed after last school year.

However, come the 2012-13 school year the county only assigned a certain amount of routes, while all these bus aides were left without a route, and now without a job. Including me. Until further notice, they tell me.

If any of you recognize where I live, you may know about all the struggles going on out here. Stockton just went bankrupt, the housing market is the worst in the country. The city fire department is hemmoraging money on pensions and union workers. It's a mess, no one knows how to manage the money they get around here it seems. And all the money management and cutbacks have come only when things have gotten the worst and at the expense of jobs, not salaries, or pensions, or BS spending or any of that. It makes me angry. It also pisses me off because the contract company I work for is actually one place that PAYS BACK the county from the transit and coach line buses.

I don't know, i'm venting a little, I was without work for 2 years before I found this job, now i'm back where I was again and it's depressing.

Now i'll get more time to play bass, yet I won't be able to realize any GAS's anytime soon. Bittersweet I guess.

2. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I feel for you- I live not too far away,in Oakland, and I know you're area has been just slammed in every possible way. The irony is that you're doing important work with special needs kids and, of course, that's what gets cut. We've had our share of cuts here- my son was first in line for a carpentry job when the state pulled all the Redevelopment money- but the Valley has been really hard hit. I hope you can hang in there- my thoughts and good wishes are with you.

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Oh yeah I know Modesto. I'm based out of a terminal there. Id consider looking for jobs through out Northern CA. It might suck to have to move but Modesto/Stockton is a crappy place to be. Its not really a good time to be working in public education.

4. Thanks NG, my thoughts go out to your son as well.. Seems things are a little better in the Bay Area then down here. But it's tough all over from most I talk to.

5. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Yeah, I don't think there's a whole lot of good news right now...maybe things will turn around.

6. Yeah I hope so, and it's not all over for this job either, it may be temporary. It depends on the county and recommendations for aides. Which my boss told me is likely to happen if an "incident" happens on a bus, which it will without an aide on it. So i'll just have to wait it out and see. But it still is a bummer for the time being.

7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    A lot of counties, cities, towns, municipalities are trying to deal with budget deficit issues. Where you are from is not the only one. Income from taxes is down, expenses stay the same.
    There are different ways to deal with personnel issues and budgets. Don't backfill vacancies/hiring freeze. Pay freeze/no raises. Stop over-time pay, only comp time. Furlough/forced unpaid time off. Decrease pay rate. Lay-offs.

Good luck.

8. The mayor of Scranton, PA recently put all municipal employees, including himself, on minimum wage, simply because the city couldn't afford to pay them what the wanted. Baltimore, MD is thinking of selling advertisement on their municipal vehicles as a way of raising revenue. I'm sure there are many other stories out there like these. As the private sector is adding jobs, the public sector is contracting. Things are not going too well in the US these days. :rollno:

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about this Diesel.

10. I feel your pain man..

Last year this time I got laid off of a job I had for 11 years. I was only down a few months and then got what had to be the worst job I have ever had. Seriously, they only good thing I could say about it was; it provided a paycheck.

I got a job that I love in Jan. of this year, so there is hope. However, the bad side of it is, the best I have been able to get money-wise is just a little more than 1/2 my salary that I had at the job I was laid off from.

My wife works for the School board here, it's been similar to what you're describing. She's been lucky so far.

Good luck..

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I, too, am sorry to hear.

12. FREAKYSTLYEY

FREAKYSTLYEY Banned

Jan 14, 2007
    Cometo Louisiana NOW. I can get you 1200 a week if you can work outdoors

13. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Why do that when you can make 8000 a week if you have a computer.
    It has to be true. The internet told me.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Man, that's rough.

Hang in there, buddy. :(

Quick question ; have you ever thought of moving? Some places just aren't booming in the job market. For instance, I'm originally from Montreal and though I *love* the city, too many companies are closing there in favor of opening or re-opening in other places with lower taxes. When my fiancée and I decided to move in together, the choices were either Toronto (where she lived) or MTL. Since TO has a *much* healthier job market, it made more sense for me to move to TO.

I miss MTL, but jobwise, there are zero regrets. You might want to think about doing a similar move, perhaps.

15. Yeah I have and I already tryed that, last year I was in Texas and had a job for a short time (only about 2 months). Family issues and other things that happened out there forced me back home to California. So i've been down that road already. When I got back here, I landed this job, so I was really excited about it.

Now i'm back in the same boat, this time I have some connections/favors around here that I can jump on, which make leaving not really an option.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and comments, it's tough out there these days, me telling that to you is preaching to the choir, but I had to vent and let you all know. :D

I've been pretty positive over these last few years, it's been a challenge and an experience and I think it's making me a better person by going thru these struggles. Whatever doesn't kill you....

Fortunately for me I have great parents and a place to come home too. I hate having nothing to contribute around the house, but i've got good family and we maintain a strong unit. So I have good things that I can't complain about to keep me going.

Overall, i'm a little down, but not out. ;)

16. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    You've got a great attitude- sounds to me like you probably contribute around your house-just not money right now. Its great to have a solid and supportive family!

17. Well, i'm no more laid off, my job called me back today and had an opening for me. So I had a month and a half vacation. Time to make the money and walk into music shops like this again...> :D :bassist:

18. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Glad to hear man!

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Awsome! That's great news :hyper:

20. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Good to hear man! Hate to see a bass player out of work...