Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lake County, Ill. (Chicago area, Wisconsin) Talkbass GTG

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Robear22, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I am having a bass clinic at my church on May 14. Any of you Tber's that are interested PM me and I can get the info to you. It will be from 8:30 to 4:30. We will have an interactive discussion, hands on instruction, and a group jam session so come on out have some fun and make new friends. :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :eek: :eek:

2. The 14th and 15th are bad days for me, otherwise I'd love to! Not that I'd have much to offer with a bass clinic- other than embarrassing myself :smug:

3. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cool!
    I have to check schedules but I may be able to make it in the afternoon. All I can offer is to bring up my Schroeders if people are interested in test-driving. I'll let you know.

4. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    It is a bring your bass hands-on clinic so come on out guys. I would like to see the faces of a couple of you guys. No matter how you play or where you are at come out. There will be beginners to intermediate to advanced.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Get in touch with me (or forward all of the info my way via e-mail). I'll try to make it out if I don't have a scheduling conflict. ;) :bassist:

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll have to check to see what's up that day...

7. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Here are the specifics for the event.

When: Saturday May 14, 2005

The place: Love Temple International Christian Center
    1711 McArthur Drive, Waukegan, Illinois 60087

Cost: 15.00

Time: 8:30 Continental Breakfast
    9-10 First session
    10:15-11:15 Second session
    11:30-12:30 Lunch
    12:30-1:30 Third session
    1:45-2:45 Fourth session
    3:00-4:00 Finale(all groups come back together)

This seminar is not just for bass players but for drummers and keyboardists also. We will rotate from room to room for each session and come back together for the finale. This seminar is for everyone so don't be turned off by it being at a church. Come on out and share your knowledge and learn some new things. PM me if you have any other questions.

8. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
  9. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    if I did not have to teach down in racine I would be there in a sec

later
    Bryan

10. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I'm all for shindigs and stuff but when the subject of the forum is the same basis for the meeting I tend to stray. If it was just people meeting up to get to know eachother I would be there in a heart beat. But you know...I don't **** where I eat.

11. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    That is what is going to be going on. People meeting and sharing knowledge of the bass guitar. The instructor is a local guy who is phenomenal. Come on down you will not regret it. i want to take pictures and post them here on Talkbass.

12. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Here are some shots from the worksop on Saturday.

[​IMG]

Some of the rigs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The players:

[​IMG]

My godson the Prodigy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a close up of the Smith
    [​IMG]

13. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I'm not racist. I have 6 black cousins who I love dearly and would stand up for them and their friends in a second. Now that I got that out: Isn't ironic that the majority of the bass players were black?

14. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Why are you bringing up the race of the attendees? It was not a factor for those of us who were there. We were all bass players who came together to share knowledge with each other regardless of race. Do you have a problem with black bass players? :meh: :confused:

15. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

First off if I had a problem with black bass players that would make me racist. And if you read my post the first words I typed were I'm not racist. Second I just find it funny how people can complain of sterotypes (NOT SAYING YOU ARE) and then go follow along with them.

Don't hate me but its the sterotype that all black people can play bass (NOT SAYING YOU CAN'T). Just like when I see an Asian-American in a Honda with a fin and ground effects. I laugh because they are the same people who would be outraged if I were to point out that they are conforming with a sterotype. It's just observational humor that society has burned into my skull.

ps. I know I will have to type this more than once so there is no misunderstanding. I'M NOT RACIST. But racist jokes are funny.

16. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I did not say you were a racist I was just wondering why you would bring it up that is all. Me being a black man, I deal with race daily and sometimes I would like to come somewhere to talk about something else and not have to talk or joke about race. I was looking for comments like "you guys look like you were having fun" or " nice rig". That is all. ;) ;)

17. Robear -

What was the content of each of the sessions? Wanted to attend but had other commitments. Was that a red Tune being played? Looks like a good get together.

Psyrcle - sorry man but you can't throw out a disclaimer up front and proceed to make a comment/observation/ attempt at humor (call it what you will) that can obviously be interpreted as inflammatory and not expect people to react. That said - what's the irony of it? And how does it add anything to the post?

18. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Most of the content was gig related(pay, equipment, what to play, business aspects, and difference between church playing and regular playing). The pictures I took were from the technique session and we got into a discussion about different amp setups and speaker configs.

Yes that is my red Tune 6 string. Got it around Christmas. I am about to change the strings though and don't know what to put on it.

I also have to say that the Avatar 212 is a killer cab. One of the most versatile cabs I have seen. Lots of solid bottom and punchy mids.

19. - Kewl, wish there were more pics! Who from TB went?
    - What was driving the Avatar ? More comments, impressions about gear would most welcome.
    - Let us know if there is going to be another one of these in the future...

20. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    :rollno: i am a working pro bassist who play's in a very wide varity of musical circles who happens to be black,this is something i have to deal with all the time.robert thank you for remaining calm and taking the time to share about your clinic.psyrcle,maybe you should of made it to the clinic so you can learn about people being people sharing info and not just seeing race