1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakeland 55-02 vs musicman stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Aug 15, 2007.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i want to know what you guys think is best, i want to buy one of the two a Lakeland 55-02 or musicman stingray 5, but don't know what to choose, i play funk, but then i'll turn around and play rock as well, so i need a bass that will do both, and i can't spend alot of money, what is your guys opinion? i will need the bass to last me several years, the bass i have now is going bad, so i have to buy a new one. thanks dudes!!:hyper:

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    You really can't go wrong with either. They're both fantastic basses.

I'd personally go for the stingray because for the same price you get the MIA build quality that EBMM is famous for.

3. If your looking at the SR, look at the HH and HS models. :)

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    My opinion???

MusicMan SR5 HS > Lakland 55-02

This is, however, my opinion. It is neither right nor wrong. They are both fine basses that would work in a number of situations. But, the MM tone works better for both funk and rock IMO.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    But don't overlook the single H either. I've played them all and still prefer the single H configuration... It nails the classic tone that the others can't quite exactly replicate.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. I own a 55-02 and used to own a SR5.

This thread is like a bunch of guitarists fighting over what is better... a Les Paul or a Strat.

The only way you will know is to try them both out yourself.

Personally, Warwicks to me are the worst of the worst sounding high end basses available. Many love them. What sounds/feels good to you is what matters IMO.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I agree that the best tone is the classic H soloed. I had both HH and HS and got rid of both in favor of my straight H SR4. (I know you're asking about the SR5 but, )

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    This is apples and oranges, especially if you're looking at a Bart-equipped 55-02 compared to a Musicman SR5. Both will do Rock and Funk, but differently.

When it comes to feel, they're completely different, too. The string spacing on the 55-02 is wider than that on a MM. Also, the MM is 34" scale and the 55-02 is 35".

Personally, I'd go with the 55-02. I prefer the tone, and I hate the narrow spacing of MM 5 strings. Plus, Lakland 55-02's have such a great sounding B string, something that I've found a bit lacking when it comes to Musicman basses. I love musicman 4 string basses, but I don't really feel the 5ers.

You have to play both, with others and solo, then make your decision.

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Which is why you gotta go play both. I personally love the narrower spacing of a SR5. If I want wider spacing for funkier stuff I go to my jazz.

And the B on my SR5 is nothing short of thunderous... guess it just depends on how it's set up. My hands aren't the biggest so I feel clumsy playing a 35" in first position.

I'm not knocking the 5502 at all, just saying you gotta find out what you prefer as far as feel goes.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I owned a 55-02 and currently have an SR5 HH. Several other people have already described the differences so I won't bother repeating. I'll just give you my take on them and why I ended up with the SR5.

In my case, it was the feel that did it. After owning the Lakland for about two years I finally had to admit to myself that I am a lot more comfortable on a bass with 34" scale and narrower spacing. I know a lot of people scoff at that extra inch making a real difference but I it does in my case. After looking at the bases that fit those criteria I guessed the SR5 would be the best bet for me. I played several in stores just to test them out and after comparing them to some others I decided I liked they way they sounded the best.

I guess I was still in love with the Lakland and it took me a few months to really give the Stingray an open minded chance after buying it (can you tell? I sold the 55-02 this past March and it's STILL the bass in my avatar! :p ). But over time I finally did that and now love the Stingray equally. I originally wanted an HS model since I really liked that combination on my 55-02 but I got a great deal on a used HH and went for that one. No regrets here going that route.

They have different feels and different tonal characters (maybe the Lakland electronics get closer to the MM humbuckers?), but based on my experience both are extremely well made and extremely versatile. If you can play both comfortably I'd say go with the first good deal that pops up for you. If scale and or spacing is an issue, try the one that you prefer first and if it doesn't work out try the other.

Either way, you're getting an outstanding bass.

11. Do people feel that the narrower string spacing of the Stingray 5 makes it harder or even unsuitable for a slap technique?

-Mark

12. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I think this just depends on your approach. I don't find it difficult to slap on mine.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have never had a problem slapping on a SR5. Some folks do need the wide spacing, but many do not.

14. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think you need cleaner technique to slap on an SR5, which is something that is better for most people to have anyways. But, its not a huge adjustment. I think it boils down to preference. If you want MM tone, you'll figure out how to slap on an SR5 pretty quickly ;)

15. Thanks; that's good to know. My son wants to develop his slapping technique, which isn't very good yet, and he's also expressed an interest in SR5-style basses.

So it's useful to know that if he has initial problems with the string spacing of a SR5-style bass, at least the problems aren't insuperable, but rather a matter of more practice.

-Mark

16. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a Yamaha 5ver with wide string spacing. Now that i am used to my SR5, the Yamaha feels huge and cumbersome to play. I was worried that the Stingray spacing might be too narrow as other have complained about it, but i found it to be perfect and very well designed.

17. It is sort of an apples and oranges comparison and personal preference, based on playing both, should be the final determinant; BUT I assume you started the thread for a reason and that you're seeking opinions based on the experience and preferences of others. I've played both and personally prefer the Lakland. In fact, I recently bought a JO5, but came VERY close to choosing the 55-02 instead.

For starters, though I love the Musicman sound, I don't find it as versatile as the Lakland. The 55-02 is, IMHO, simply one of the most versatile basses around with a ton of different, useful tones. The 55-02 is normally lighter than a Musicman 5, if weight is an issue. The Musicman 5-string neck seems fatter to me than the Lakland, but I don't find either neck to be uncomfortable and can play both. Finally, Lakland's 35" scale on its 5-strings is an issue for some people. I'm tall and have long fingers, so it isn't particularly an issue for me--but I realize it is for many others.

Just another thumper's $.02. Let us know what you decide to get-- and post pics!

Bluesy Soul :cool:

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I can't tell you difinitively which is better but I did dig out my Stingray last weekend and rediscovered it all over again. It does have wonderful tone and looks pretty good too IMHO...

Sterling5Web.

19. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I've owned a 55-94 (US version of the 55-02) and an SR5.

I loved both, but if I had to choose one, it would be a close race. In my opinion, the only downside to either was the lack of fanned frets (why I got rid of both). I'll list what are IMO the pros of each:

55-02:
    -Wider variety of tones
    -thinner neck (I prefer thinner)
    -awesome customer service
    -I still drool at pictures of me and my 55-94

SR5:
    -incredibly bright tone
    -thicker neck (some prefer thicker)
    -unbreakable, so customer service isn't an issue!

Just try them both. If you have a local GC, buy them and use them for the 30 day trial period. Then keep your favorite! :bassist:

EDIT: I'd also like to add that a Honeyburst SR5 with white pickup/pickguard is one prettiest basses made. I should know, I had one :)

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

GC is not a Lakland dealer. The other point to be made is that Stingrays don't have sound bright. The classic single H has a treble knob that can be turned down. It can't get the radical shifts in tone that a two pickup bass can manage, but it is a versatile instrument whose tone really fits well in many settings, not unlike a P-bass. The two pickup Stingrays and Sterlings are even more versatile.

I also love the 55-02/55-94. Like others have said, there is no bad choice to be made here.:)