1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakeland Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm looking at the Lakeland basses and wonder about the neck. I currently have a Fender Jazz Deluxe and while it has been a wonderful bass for me, I've developed arthritis in my hands and find that the narrow, thicker necks cause me pain. I also have a wider neck Kinal bass which is thinner from top to bottom and it doesn't hurt my hands.

I'd like to try a passive Lakeland, probably the Joe Osborne and wonder about the neck...is it narrow and thick?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    While I cant comment on the neck shape, you should probably ask a mod to move this to Basses instead of Bassists.

Also, its Lakland, no E :)

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Oh..ok..sorry for having it in the wrong place. Hopefully a moderator can move this to basses.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The moderators are listed at the top of each forum, just shoot em a PM with the URL of this thread and ask them, they will be glad to move it for you Im sure :)

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Lakland - without an "e"

I have two JO 4s and a JO 5. The necks on the fours are narrow side to side (1.5" nut) and on the thin side (top to back). Much thinner than a Warwick (haven't held a Kinal). To me - very comfortable and playable. The JO 5 is also thinner than most other 5s I have tried - especially around the first 4 frets. I think they feel great and play great.

Eggman

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    done :smug: Glad I can help!

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I used to have a MIA Jazz Dlx V. the neck was like a 2x4. I now have a Lakland 55-02, and the neck is considerably smaller. Not to small, but just right.

A Lakland is in between a Fender 5 and a StingRay5 if you've played both of those.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks again guys!

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    And if you want a nice Joe Osborne 5, you should buy mine!

Lakland Joe Osborne 5 For Sale