Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakeland Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm looking at the Lakeland basses and wonder about the neck. I currently have a Fender Jazz Deluxe and while it has been a wonderful bass for me, I've developed arthritis in my hands and find that the narrow, thicker necks cause me pain. I also have a wider neck Kinal bass which is thinner from top to bottom and it doesn't hurt my hands.

I'd like to try a passive Lakeland, probably the Joe Osborne and wonder about the neck...is it narrow and thick?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    While I cant comment on the neck shape, you should probably ask a mod to move this to Basses instead of Bassists.

Also, its Lakland, no E :)

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Oh..ok..sorry for having it in the wrong place. Hopefully a moderator can move this to basses.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The moderators are listed at the top of each forum, just shoot em a PM with the URL of this thread and ask them, they will be glad to move it for you Im sure :)

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Lakland - without an "e"

I have two JO 4s and a JO 5. The necks on the fours are narrow side to side (1.5" nut) and on the thin side (top to back). Much thinner than a Warwick (haven't held a Kinal). To me - very comfortable and playable. The JO 5 is also thinner than most other 5s I have tried - especially around the first 4 frets. I think they feel great and play great.

Eggman

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    done :smug: Glad I can help!

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I used to have a MIA Jazz Dlx V. the neck was like a 2x4. I now have a Lakland 55-02, and the neck is considerably smaller. Not to small, but just right.

A Lakland is in between a Fender 5 and a StingRay5 if you've played both of those.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks again guys!

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    And if you want a nice Joe Osborne 5, you should buy mine!

Lakland Joe Osborne 5 For Sale