Lakeland Hollow Body and others....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 14, 2001.

1. I went to Speir music today to get some new strings and while there I played around on a Lakeland hollow body. Don't know what it is called but that thing was beautiful. It had 2 big Bartolini pups in it and was setup with flatwounds. Felt awesome. Even without an amp it had this great, colorful "thud" sound. That thing is a finger style groove machine. Wish I had $3000 to blow.

I have also really started understanding why people like Music Man so much. I played a Stingray and a Sterling the other day for a good while and really began to appreciate that sound and feel. Nasty Growl!!!

Finally, I played a good old P bass. It had the ash body with the natural body. I can't get over how nice those things sound. So smooth and fat.
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Those Lakeland Hollow bodys are sweet a friend of mine has the prototype Dan sent it to him to try and its so nice he sorta forced him into sellin it to him .The thing sounds huge with a set of flats and a nice tube amp;)
    Deffinetly on my wish list
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Count, it sounds like it's time for me to spend a Saturday at Speir's, Zoo and Larry Morgan again. I haven't been over there in 3 months, and it's probably my only chance to see the Lakland hollowbody in person. Did they have any other cool stuff that they haven't had for several months?
  4. I haven't been there in quite a while myself. There is always some good stuff in their back room. I saw some vintage jazz basses, a number of Lakelands, and a lot of other nice looking goodies. I was so taken by that hollow body I didn't pay much attention to anything else.

Speir Music is one of my favorite stores. They never seem to have a bunch of kids playing "Crazy Train" or "Enter Sandman" through a Marshall stack at full volumn like you find at GC. They usually have a good selection too.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hey count, that hollowbody was designed by Mike Tobias. It's a great piece. Has a HUGE sound! Gotta be one Dan's proudest achievements.