Lakeland skyline 55-02 signal too hot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dikger, Aug 29, 2013.

1. dikger

dikger

Sep 25, 2003
    Miami
    Hey there all, i just recently bought a lakeland skyline series 55-02 off ebay. Bass is in great shape, but the output of the bass is overdriving my amp. I'm playing through a Mesa M9 and a powerhouse 212 cab. I know for a fact that they can handle it. Inside the accsess cover is a mid shaping circuit, but no output knob or switch. I know the battery isn't the problem. the previous owner put in a fresh one for me. Anyone have simular problems or advice? Thnks.
    Rich

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not sure about the newer Lakland/Hansen preamps but the older Barts have a gain adjustment. See if there is a small phillips or flathead driver looking gain adjustment inside the access cover. What year is your bass?

3. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Look for a small,white trim pot located on a tiny black box near the circuit board.Normally,it's set to a default but,since yours is used,someone may have tweaked it a bit.Unless they've recently changed it,it should be a small flat-head slot.

4. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
  5. dikger

dikger

Sep 25, 2003
    Miami
    My 55-02 is an 08. Comes with the lakland pickups and preamp, not the bartolinis. I saw the mis shaping circuitboard, but no adjustment for the output. I'll look again. From what i was able to tell, the mids are still set at the default setting. Thanks.
    Rich

6. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    Turn down the input gain (position clearly indicated on the schematics). My older 55-02 had the same problem and was an easy fix by turning down the imput gain.
    I know, you would expect it to say output gain, but it's that control you need to turn down

7. dikger

dikger

Sep 25, 2003
    Miami
    Thanks to all for the valuble info. It's greatly appreciated.
    Rich

8. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The LH3 has an output trim, it's tiny. Circled in red in the pic below.

Attached Files:

• LH3.jpg
      LH3.jpg
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
  9. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    And for the love of the low end get rid of the "e" in Lakland!

Carry on.

OnederTone and cthomas5200 like this.
  10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    And for those who called it an "input trim", it's an output trim. Let's get our terminology correct. It helps for those who don't fully understand how these things work.

11. Fernando Perez

Fernando Perez

Feb 15, 2016
    Qot a question on the trim pot. I noticed that the bass output is too hot as well on my 55-02 with lh3 preamp lakland pickups . I read that I can work with the trim pot to bring it down a little bit. Before messing with the pot I brought down the picks which they are all the way down right now (can’t lower then anymore). Strings height are set as recommended by lakland g side mm 7/64 , j 9/64 and the B side mm 10/64 and the j 11/64. Do you have any instructions on how to adjust this pot? I tried to do it and I couldn’t figure it out . It seems that it was getting hotter. Does the pot has a fixed range? Mine turned freely 360 degrees, so I don't know where the range begins and ends. Where will be the factory setting now ? Thanks for your help.

12. If all else fails, lower the pickups.

13. markinson

markinson

Mar 30, 2001
    Chiclana, SPAIN
    You probably are using a screw-driver too big for the very little tiny trim's screw. Just try something smaller like the one used for watches.

Trim's screw is stopping at 07:00 for minimum output and about 04:00 for maximum output. This mini-screw ain't turning easy so if you are not using the proper screw-driver you won't have grip enouhg to turn it.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021