Lakland 10th party!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Before going to the show, I stopped by the factory, and Kirk was nice enough to spend a little time with me, and I got a couple pics I'll post later.

A bit of History...
    I didn't know this, but the Lakin family has had a business (A. Lakin & Sons) at that location since the early 1900's (circa 1920, I think) recycling used tires by cutting them up into rubber parts to be used in other things like rubber bumper/pads for machinery and heavy equipment (and whatever). The Lakland shop is basically three rooms upstairs in the building, while the "original" business continues to thrive below.

The Show...
    History was made last night. I managed to get a table by myself over on stage left just off the main floor, but all the seats were really good anyway.

The show was sold out, and the silent auction did well for the Merit School Of Music... a VERY worthy cause!

I met Dan and chatted with him for a while. I told him I "only" had a Skyline 55-02, but it turns out his main/personal bass is a hollow body Skyline, tho I didn't ask what he's doing musically at the moment, so I don't know what he uses it for or how often he plays.

The order was: Bob Glaub, Darryl Jones, Jerry Scheff, Donald "Duck" Dunn, then Joe Osborne. The "house band" was Tributosaurus, and they were awesome. They have quite the rep in the Chicago area for being probably the best "note for note" cover band around. I know it was a clinic for me, since I play in a cover band.

Man, you don't know what these guys have done until you hear their "resumes". HOLY COW!!!!! Amazing. Jerry Scheff even treated us to a rock and roll song he wrote for Elvis, who loved it, but only ALMOST recorded. It was very cool. They all played their signature models, of course, and all five played through a SVT Classic head and a single SVT cabinet. At the end, they all played "Knock on Wood" together... yep... 5 bass players (and about a zillion other great musicians and singers... they had many guests that night).

Interestingly, Dan Lakin sang Sam and Dave's "Soul Man" while Duck Dunn was featured, and it was cool! He did a good job.

The Dude Pit was there in force down in front. I'm not sure, but I think they may have actually had too much fun. :)

The really strange part for me is, I didn't know this going up there, but a female singer I worked with briefly a while back was a featured singer, and a drummer I also worked with in the past was a guest drummer. Both incredible musicians as well (in other words, I was lucky). :) In any case, I went back stage afterwards and got to do some cool catchin' up.

More later if I think of it, or if others wanna' post. I drove all the way up there from central IL that afternoon, and drove all the way back after the show. It was worth it. This kind of historical event doesn't happen very often. I learned a TON and had a BLAST.
  2. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Now THATS the Dude I know!!! :smug: :D :D :D :bassist:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is really a better fit in the Miscellaneous forum, so I moved it there.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've met that Dude before. ;) I've also met his not-so-evil twin. :D
  5. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    vics -

Right on! Great show. It definitely was unique to hear a concert that went from Jackson Browne, to the Stones, to Miles, to Elvis, to the Doors, to Booker T, to "Are you Going to San Fransisco?" :D

I took my old guitarist, who is notoriously difficult to get to leave the house for anything, and he was absolutely enthralled. All in all, they did a great job putting on a fun show.

And I got to meet Big String - super cool cat. :hyper: