Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 4-94 Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeYello, Nov 12, 2002.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Lakland 4-94 Deluxe and wanted some opinions on it. I would probably have to sell either my Sterling or Stingray and perhaps a Ric 4003. Is this worth doing? I like the tone of the Lakland with both pickups on and the treble rolled off. Sounds very fat, fatter than I can get from the Sterling.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I had a real pretty deluxe for a while. It played great. Nice low action, snappy. I prefer Sadowskys' and sold it. I think it would be a step up from either of the other basses you described. Go for it. Good luck:D

Rob

3. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I purchased a used Lakland 4-94 Deluxe about 6 months ago and have been very pleased with the instrument. I played quite a few instruments prior to the Lakland purchased (Fender American Jazz Deluxe, Stingrays, Sterling, etc) and the Lakland blew them all away....playability, tone, finish etc.

I've never played a Sadowsky and hope to soon. From what I've read here on TB they're a premier bass.

Hope this helps.

4. My Lakland 4-94 is probably the best bass I have owned to date. Sadowsky doesnt have much on it; if anything. Plays great; sounds great.

My Lakie is a keeper!

5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Go for it,

Laklands have great tone, great playability, great looks and what's very important: the service and attention to detail that Dan, John and the whole Lakland team give to their customers.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

6. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    The Lakland is on its way. I am very exciting about this bass. I am hopping it is "The One". Since I have put my 76 P Bass into semi retirement I have played about 9 different basses, but never really bonded with any of them. I played the P-Bass almost exclusively for 23 years (a Rick 4001 on occasion) and never really felt like I needed anything else. I will probably sell a bass or 2 after getting the Lakland. I want to see where it fits in sound wise and then I will decide what goes. Thanks for your replies.........

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    JoeYello,

Let us know if you like the Lakie and don't forget to post some pics if you've got a camera.

keep groooovin'
    Fran