1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 4-94 quick question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Apr 29, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Are the J and the MM pups wired in series or in parallel? thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Parallel i believe.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    parallel. My one wish with the 55-02/55-94 would be that the bridge coil switch went between series/parallel/single rather than front/both/rear.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've thought about this too. I'd like to get a 55-02, and I know when I do, I'll eventually change the MM pickup to this wiring configuration. Also, I'll probably end up switching to SD's, depending on how I like the Barts.

I think it would be neat to have a ser/par/sc switch for the MM pickup and a ser/par switch for the neck pickup.

Is the neck J pickup in any of the Lakland-style basses wired in series or parallel? Would there be much of a difference in sound with the ser/par switch on the neck pickup, or would that not be worth it?

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    And how are Fender Jazzes pups wired? series or parallel?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so it sounds like you don't 100% understand the various options here.

On every two pickup bass I've ever seen, the pickups are wired in parallel. If they weren't wired in parallel, you couldn't have two volume controls or a volume/blend - you'd have a single volume control.

Now, each individual pickup can be wired in series or parallel. A single coil pickup has no individual wiring options, but a humbucker can be wired in series or parallel.

So, in a two pickup bass with single coil pickups it will be wired in parallel by default, but you can wire in series for tonal flexibility. When you do that, you only have one volume control.

On a two pickup bass with humbuckers, each individual pickup may be wired in either series or parallel but they will be wired in parallel with the other pickup by default. Again, you can put both pickups in series and only have a single volume control.

On the Roscoe Beck 5, either pickup can be in single/parallel/series mode, but the pickups are in parallel with each other.

On the 55-94/55-02, the bridge humbucker pickup is wired in parallel itself and also in parallel with the J pickup. I'd like it if the bridge humbucker offered series/parallel switching like the Roscoe Beck 5

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hey! Thanks! (again)

I actually didnt understand how it was, just new how it sounded, and wanted to see if it was worth installinga series/parallel switch to my jazz, after knowing how the sound chages in my 4-94. But since i dont have the chance of changing this in the 4-94 i am on 0 again.