1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 4-94 String Gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JoeYello, Mar 12, 2009.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I currently have lighter strings on my 4-94. Does anyone use 45-105 on theirs? I would like to go up a bit.
    Thanks

2. 45-105 is my preference.
    feels and sounds perfect.

3. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks, I've got a set of Sunbeams all set to go!

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I've used 45/65/85/105 on both of my 494s since I go them (first one in 1999). DR Hi-Beams, D'Addario SloWounds, and Lakland Stainless all worked well for me. Lakland's nickel and GHS Boomers didn't work so well (they're the same strings I believe). Right now it's a set of Laklands on the Deluxe and a set of Elixers on the Classic. Not sure about the Elixers, but they've only been on for about two months so it's too early to tell.

However, the gauges are less an issue than the string compostion. I have used either 45-105 or 50-105 on just about every bass for the last 30 years. I tried some T-I flats, some LaBella Old Original flats which were both quite different from my usual sets. Went back to the more medium sets.

jte

5. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    jte.....do you just not like nickel strings in general?
    Joe

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    No, I like nickles. I used D'Addario XL-165s for years, the D'Addario SloWounds were nickel, and I quite like DR- Sunbeams (nickle on a round core) especially on a passive Precision. I just don't like GHS Boomers and Lakland's nickles are essentially GHS Boomers.

I have a big problem with Boomers settling in to staying in tune. They take forever, like days, to settle into tune. I can restring with just about any other string, play them for a while, let them sit for 24 hours, touch up the tuning, and go play a gig with minimal retuning. With Boomers I'm retuning after every song, and frequently nudging stuff during songs. And the same thing happens with the original G&L nickle rounds, Lakland nickles, and the one set of Leo Fender era Music Man rounds. I know that the Laklands, and the strings Leo Fender used for Music Man and the earliest G&L were also Boomers.

This tuning anomoly happens with me and GHS guitar Boomers too. It's something with the strings because I put them on the same way I do all the other strings I've put on in my whole life- and I managed a guitar store for 11 years. I've put on a LOT of strings in my time. I like GHS strings generally- very consistent, great sound, and the company is a great company. But Boomers and I don't get along.

jte

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Have 'em on my 44-02. Works great.