1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Lakland 44-01 maple neck, trade for rosewood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Sparkdog, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Price:
    I have a 2014 Lakland Skyline 44-01 with a maple fretboard, would like to trade for a rosewood fretboard. Neck is in perfect condition, has been played very little. I have two 44-01's and both are maple so just looking for some variety.

I would also buy your neck outright if you have a good one.

2. Pics?

3. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I will shoot some and post this morning.

4. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Pictures... _D728195.

Attached Files:

5. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Is that a brass nut? Do you have any pictures of the body or whole bass you could post?

6. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Sorry, thought I had closed this thread. I bought another Lakland with a rosewood board so I'm keeping this one intact.

7. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    No problem! Did you get another 44-01? I'm looking at them now, and they seem like a good blend of modern and traditional sounds. They also have some good upgrade options (pickups, preamp) if I want to go that route.

8. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Oh man, I freakin' love these things. I have two all stock 44-01's with maple boards, one is an old Korean model and the other is a new Indonesian model. They sound fantastic right out of the box, the Bartolini electronics are aggressive and punchy, but you tweak the EQ a little and they can do Jazz or Precision bass tones really well. The kicker for me is that they are super lightweight and perfectly balanced. My first one (the Indo) was a touch over 7 1/2 pounds and I was hooked. I went looking for another and found the Korean one, it's exactly the same weight. I recently purchased another Korean one without any electronics in it. I ordered a set of Nordstrand Big Splits and Nordstrand preamp for that one, anxious to try that out. (they are not ALL lightweight, but in general the Korean ones seem to be lighter than newer ones)

Many guys buy these and mod the electronics. I've experimented with a couple of different setups now...Delano, the Bart USA versions, and Carvin humbuckers, but honestly to my ears the stock electronics sound as good or better than anything I've tried.

I play blues, R&B, and classic rock gigs for the most part and you get the stinkeye if you show up with a 5 string or any sort of boutique bass. The 44-01 has that very Fenderish headstock and it flies completely under the radar for me, I've never had an issue there. I'm a lifelong Fender Jazz guy, but the 44-01 gives me everything I love about a Jazz in a much lighter instrument that is super versatile with the soapbar pickups and onboard EQ.

Unlike Fender MIM basses, Laklands come with first rate tuners and bridges, so unless you want to tinker with the electronics (which I personally wouldn't bother with anymore) they're gig ready just the way they are. They also have the best necks in the business for my money. Not quite as slim as a Jazz, but smaller than a Precision...it's simply perfect.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

mysteryclock likes this.
  9. mysteryclock

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Dig it.

I was pondering swapping the pickups for USA Bartolinis and the preamp for a Flexcore, but if I like it as-is I may just save my money and invest it in a fretless version instead (since those upgrades are kind of pricey.) Thanks for the feedback!