Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland 44-01 Questions???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Tax time is once again upon us, and lucky for me, I am looking at getting some cash to help ease my GAS. I have been looking at Lakland for the past while and they are starting to grow on me. So, my questions are: in alot of pictures, the body seems to have rather square angles, (on the edge) is this so? It doesn't seem to be as smooth and rounded as a Fender Jazz. I am playing some punk, rock, but mostly classic metal (think Black Sabbath) through a Traynor MkII. Would this guitar and amp be happy together? Does anybody know the actual weight of a 44-01? I have searched previous posts, and it seems the consensus is to buy up, and get the 44-02. Is this still true? I play mostly with fingers and have gotten used to the placement of the pups on my Fenders (Geddy, P Deluxe, P Hot Rod) at the neck position for a thrumbrest. Does anybody have any input to this. Are the Lakland pups in the same spot (or as close as possible) to Fender's pup placement, or would I notice a difference?

Any other useful bits of info would be greatly appreciated!

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you anchor on the pups, the placement on a 44-01 wont be in issue. In fact, because its a soapbar, you'll probably like the way it feels better.

I dont know anything about the traynor amps, but the 44-01 actually has a bright'ish aggressive sound with a good mid rangey thump to it. Personally, I havent found a style of music I DONT like w/ my 55-01 yet... EQ to taste. IMHO, 01's are a good choice for the style of music you've listed.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't think it's a question of buying "up".... I think the -01 and -02 models simply provide a different sound, and it's up to you which you prefer.

Yes, the -02 is a bit more expensive - but in most of those old threads, there seems to be a group of folks who prefer the Bart pups and pre in the -01, and others who like the more subdued -02.

I'm in the first camp. If at all possible, try before you buy to determine which you prefer.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    When I first got my 55-01 I thought I wasn't happy with the sound compared to my 6 string which has a Bart NTMB and Bart pups in it. After playing the 55-01 for a spell, I discovered that I didn't want it to sound like my other bass. What would be the point?
    I like the 55-01 because I can get a wide variety of sounds from P-bass to Stingray and back. I know you are asking about the 44-01 but I think they have roughly the same sound. The 55-01 doesn't seem to be that heavy but compared to my 6 string nothing is.

5. I found a dealer in my parts, and the 44-01 for for about $900 Cdn. That is just a tad higher than a Fender MIM P Deluxe Active. Is the quality comparable between MIM and the 44? I am also a big fan of the MIA necks with the rolled edges, how does the Lakland compare to this as well?

This would be a relative question I know, but what would the sound difference be between a 01 and 02 if you were playing out of the same amp/settings? I am not familiar with these pups or pre at all, so a bit of guidance is needed here as well.

6. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    You can't go wrong with Lakland build quality. FAR superior to MIM in MHO. The bods are comfortable and rounded, similar to a strat. Mine weighs 8 1/2 lbs no neck dive. All components are high quality and finish and setup are outstanding. Same bridge and Hipshot ultralite tuners as in the Americans. Fast comfortable neck shape, rolled edges, low action, no fret buzz dead on intonation. The control cavity is factory shielded and grounded. Sound is subjective. In the end if its not yer cuppa tea, it won't be due to the quality of the instrument.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    +1.

As for the relative sound of the -01 vs. -02 pickups, genreally the -01's are considered more "aggressive". Search the forum on "skyline pickups"; this has been discussed many times.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think I'm going to pick up one of these bad boys. The Lakland stuff is heads above anything Fender I've played.

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I think I'm going to have to play one of these soon.

I've played a couple 55-02 basses. Amazing.

My local shop has two 55-01 basses, and two 55-02.

I have previously shrugged off the 55-01 as "cheap," a "lesser" 55-02. My only issue with the 55-02's that I played was the sound, it wasn't there for me. But all Barts that I have played before that I haven't been able to stand, the NTMB was just like, "Eh, it's alright." It wasn't snappy enough for me and too "nice." I was planning to see the comments on the Lakland pick-ups and pre-amp, to see if that would work for me better. If not, it was a Darryl Jones for me (I love Jazz Basses, but the 55-02 with it's coil-select is just so tempting!).

Now you've all got me interested in a 55-01 bass. :oops:

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I put up a review of a 55-01 a couple days ago,

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228681

which is almost like a 44-01 except that the 55 is a long scale 5 string. Check out the review. I found it to be quite a versatile instrument, that stands on it 's own. If it comes down to a Lakland and a MIM fender, there is really no reason to take the fender. ( I have a MIM p-bass) If you are concerned about quality, tone and customer service, you will take the Lakland.

11. So I went to a Club Bass in Toronto on saturday. There, hanging on the wall, just traded in, after 2 months, was a 44-01, sunburst, with maple neck. Tried it out with a Markbass head going through a Berg 1x12 cab. Sound was good, but the feel is where it was at. Light, easy/responsive controls, neck is bit bigger than a Fender's so it took some getting used to, excellent balance, did I mention it is LIGHT. Needless to say I walked out with a new bass. Played it at practice (for close to 4 hours doing Sabbath covers without any effects) that day going through a Traynor YBA-1 and a Traynor 6x10 cab, and this is where the sound came into play. When God (and Satan for the that matter) play bass, this is the sound they try to get. Congrats to Lakland, they have a new convert. I guess it's time to thin the herd a bit.....Thanks for the input everyone

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Grats!

I told ya so! :)

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Just took delivery of used 44-01 yesterday. The tone and feel were so good, I straight up traded my (Asian-made) Spector 5'er. Yeah, I'm a convert as well, when I go looking for another 5-string, it will be the Lakland, probably the 55-02. Definitely another convert.......and by the way, the customer service at Lakland is 1st rate. One of the pots on the used 44-01 I just got was broken and he's shipping me one no charge. He even answered me on a Sunday. I was amazed (thanks Dan).

Wow....new GK amp, new GK cab, new Sunn 2x15 cab, the Lakland. I can't wait for the shows this weekend! It will be sweet!

Cheers,
    Charlie

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Congrats to both of you on your new basses. You're going to love them.