1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland 44-01 upgrade to PU and onboard?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duke2004, Apr 24, 2009.

1. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Just got a nice 2007 44-01 in natural/maple neck. I knew ahead of time that i would prob not dig the MK-1 pickups and system. Even in passive mode its lacking, so im ready for ideas on new pickups, a new preamp with a passive option or even just going totally passive.
    Ive heard that the new single coil Chisonics will fit, and i would prefer not to route this bass. If i were going to route, I would prob do a pair of darkstars, but that might end up being pricey by the time its all done. Any other ideas appreciated!

2. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Hey Lakland-Nation! I know someone has done/tried/thought of this mod.

3. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  4. Others will chime in but I've seen a few variations... The preamp its totally up to you. I don't think there is 1 specific match for Lakland basses. Each has its own flavor of sorts but again will come down to your ears. Look into the different configs of the various companies and see which one meets your needs/budget. You probably don't want to do any drilling as this kills resale value. Keep the old stuff if you ever want to go back.

If I'm not mistaken. The Nordstrand Big singles/Fat stacks/DC's all fit that route. Just check on the string spacing for the Big singles/Fatstack route so the poles line up correctly. Bartolini also makes something in that route. The specs should be on the Bestbassgear site. So yea...do you want vintage +.. a modern tone.. lots of tweaking and switches... etc

have fun

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Get the Nordstrands!

6. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I keep hearing nothing but great things about Norsdstrands. Anyone found a good link to some comparative sound samples?

7. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    AFAIK that's for 5-string pickups @ 5501. :confused: